|The Chairman’s Report (2019/2020 session)|
Section B. Governance
In the 2019/2020 session, the Executive Committee met 4 times (twice on-site and twice online, including the EGM) to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
Section C. Activities
HKSQ activities held in 2019/2020 are summarized below:
- Membership drive: 1
- Workshop/Training courses: 1
- Seminars: 5 (2 organized by HKSQ; 3 supported by HKSQ)
- Conferences: 3 International, 5 local / Mainland
- Study Mission / Technical Visit: 1
- Publications: 6 (3 Newsletters, 1 Highlights of activities, 1 book chapter and 1 book)
- Government Funded Project: 1
These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
1. Membership, Membership Drive and Professional Certifications
Up to end of September 2020, the Society has 168 individual members (with voting rights) and 11 Corporate Members. These 168 individual members consist of 120 Ordinary Members, 41 Senior Members and 7 Fellows.
Membership drives were conducted at City University of Hong Kong by Chairman (Lotto) to attract new members from undergraduate, post-graduate students and industry.
The Society has 5 Certified Six Sigma Black Belts, 100 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, 2 Certified Laboratory Quality Specialists and 20 Certified Quality Engineers on its registers of certified quality professionals.
2. Workshops / Training Courses
Workshop on BOK for Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence, 31 August – 5 October 2019
Events Organized by HKSQ:
- Seminar on “Design Thinking for Quality Management”, 16 Aug 2019
- Seminar on “Industry 4.0 in Quality Management”, 27 Sep 2019
Events Supported by HKSQ:
The Society supported 3 quality related events hosted by other organizations in last fiscal year. We continued to support other local and international professional bodies in organizing seminars or symposia that align with our objectives to leverage the resources and allow members to join these activities at no cost or at discounted prices.
4. Conferences (attended by delegates from HKSQ)
- The 4th World Summit for Chinese Quality (WSCQ) organized by pre-World Alliance for Chinese Quality (pre-WACQ), Bejing, 28th Aug 2019
- ANQ Congress 2019, Bangkok, Thailand, 21 – 25 Oct 2019 (Dr. K.S. Chin, Dr. Catherine Chan, Dr. Ivan Ng, Ms. Minda Chiang and Dr. Lotto Lai attended)
Mainland China and Local Conferences:
- HKQAA 30th Anniversary Forum, 18 Oct 2019.
- OUHK Testing and Certification Day 2019, 2 Nov 2019.
- Metrology Symposium 2020, 10 Jan 2020.
5. Study Mission / Technical Visit
Technical Visit to Milton Exhibits Group, 4 Oct 2019.
6. Student Project Competition
Since the economic environment had changed, it was difficult to find a company to sponsor the event in the past year. Thus, the HKSQ company-based student project competition was suspended in the year under review.
- HKSQ Newsletters dated 19 Dec 2019, 3 Apr and 27 Jun 2020 were distributed to members to update them the past and forthcoming activities. A document that highlights HKSQ activities in 2019 was also published.
- “The Road to Management for High Quality-40 years of Total Quality Management in China (1979-2019): Part I, Chapter 3: Hong Kong’s Way to Total Quality Management” by Lai, Lotto K.H., Tong, Aaron W.K., Chin, K.S. and Tsang, A.H.C. (2019) (通向高質量發展的管理之路 – 全面質量管理在中國40年 (1979-2019): 第一部分, 第三章: 香港走向全面質量管理之路, 中國質量協會編著, 中國科學技術出版社.)
- HKSQ published a book named “The Logic of Innovation: Extenics” (創新之理則—介紹中國原創學科「可拓學」) in Dec 2019. It was distributed to members in Jan 2020.
8. Government Funded Project
HKSQ proposed a project named “Feasibility Study on the Quality of Hong Kong Start-up Development for Supporting the Sustainable Business Growth” with the aim to enhance startup companies’ quality management awareness and assist their development. In this project HKQAA served as the implementation agent and we received TID’s approval letter for $1,050,129 under the SME Development Fund (SDF). The project started in April 2020.
Section D. Networking
Internationa l/ Regional:
- KS Chin and Dr. Lotto Lai attended the 7th International Research Conference on Systems Engineering and Management Science (IRC-SEMS2019), 19-20 April 2019.
- Aaron Tong, Ms. Minda Chiang and Dr. Lotto Lai represented the Society to join the 4th World Alliance for Chinese Quality (WACQ) Summit, Beijing, 27-31 Aug 2019
- Chairman was invited to attend the 5th Greater Bay Area Conference organized by China Daily and Silk Road Economic Development Research Center (SREDRC), 10 Oct 2019.
- KS Chin, Dr. Catherine Chan, Dr. Ivan Ng, Ms. Minda Chiang and Dr. Lotto Lai represented the Society to attend the ANQ Congress 2019, Bangkok, Thailand, 21 – 25 Oct 2019, so as to build working relationships with other ANQ member organizations.
- Catherine Chan, Dr. Ivan Ng and Prof. Fugee Tsung attended the 3rd IAQ Quality Forum & 13th Shanghai International Symposium on Quality, 5-6 Dec 2019
- Albert Tsang represents HKSQ on matters relating to ASQ.
- KS Chin represents HKSQ on matters relating to ANQ.
- KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Dr. Aaron Tong represents HKSQ on matters relating to WACQ.
Local / Mainland:
- KS Chin and Dr. Lotto Lai joined the 7th International Research Conference on Systems Engineering and Management Science (IRC-SEMS2019), Nanjing, China, 19-20 April 2019.
- Aaron Tong was invited by ASQ Shenzhen LMC as guest speaker to introduce his “Minus Quality Assurance (-QA) (減法品質保證), 8 Sep 2019
- Lotto Lai represented Extenics Society in CAAI to attend The 5th Chinese Congress on Artificial Intelligence (CCAI2019), Jiaozhou Qingdao, 21-22 Sep 2019
- Lotto Lai attended HKQAA 30th Anniversary Forum on 18 Oct 2019, OUHK Testing and Certification Day 2019, 2 Nov 2019.
- Lotto Lai attended Metrology Symposium 2020, 10 Jan 2020.
Section E. Service to the Community
- The Society served as a member of the Advisory Committee of HKQAA for Start-up Companies. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
- The Society served as a member of the Technical Advisory Committee of the Hong Kong Brand Development Council. (Represented by Dr. Albert Tsang)
- The Society served as a mentor in the SUCCESS Mentorship Program. (Represented by Dr. Aaron Tong)
- The Society served as a member of the HKQF for TIC Industry Training Advisory Committee. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
Section F. Internet Communication Groups
We continued to make use of Social Media such as Facebook and LinkedIn to share quality related information with quality practitioners worldwide.
We are thankful for the participation and support from members, partners and sponsors who made the above events successful.
Last but not least, I am sincerely grateful for the contributions of the Executive Committee during this COVID-19 period. More online activities will be planned in future. Without your hard work in planning and implementation, our administration and the above activities would not have been performed successfully.
Prepared by Lotto Lai
Chairman – 2019/2020