|The office bearers and members of the Executive Committee for the financial year ending 30 June 2011 are as follows:
||Mr. Lotto Lai
|Vice Chairman :
||Mr. Humphrey Lee
|Hon. Secretary :
||Ms Minda Chiang
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Mr. S.W. Lam
|Regular Committee Members :
||Dr. Albert Tsang
||Dr. K.S. Chin
||Dr. Aaron W.K. Tong
||Dr. Fugee Tsung
||Dr. Zoie Wong
||Mr. C.P. Chow
||Mr. Karson Chui
||Mr. Vincent Cheng
||Mr. Ben Tsang
||Mr. Peter Fung
|Co-opted Members :
||Prof. Frankey Pun
||Dr. Richard Cheung
||Ms. Angela Wong
||Mr. Eric Suen
||Mr. Ricky Suen
It is our pleasure to inform you that Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) has provided service in quality discipline for 25 years in Hong Kong. The 25th Anniversary Publication which documents numerous activities held in the past 5 years has been issued.
Hong Kong Society for Quality, in collaboration with Asian Network for Quality (ANQ), China Quality Association (CAQ) and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) will organize the 10th ANQ Congress in Hong Kong in the period from 31 July to 3 August 2012. It is our first time to arrange such international quality congress in Hong Kong. The theme of congress is “Striving for Excellence through Products and Services Quality” (優化品質 , 邁向卓越). The preparation and co-organization works are in progress. We expect that 2011/12 will be a challenging year.
In the past two years, we further enhanced our professional Certification Program including individual certification of Certified Six Sigma Green Belt (CSSGB), Certified Laboratory Quality Specialist (CLabQS) and Provisional LabQS, as well as Certified Quality Engineering (CQE). HKSQ continued to maintain linkage with government bodies through involvement in initiatives such as Hong Kong Qualification Framework (HKQF) and SME Mentorship Program in Trade and Industry Department of HKSAR. Furthermore, I have a vision to lead HKSQ to be an international society through extension of our networking from Hong Kong to China, Asia, America and Europe
- The Executive Committee met 16 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings, held on 14 August 2010 was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review. Three of them were organized particularly for ANQ Congress 2012 to be held in Hong Kong in August 2012.
- HKSQ activities held in 2010/2011 are summarized as follows:
- Membership drive: 3
- Networking: 6 (including ANQ congress & ASQ Conference)
- Workshop/Training: 5
- Seminar: 10
- Technical Visit: 5 (including Study Mission)
- Student Project Competition: 1
- The annual Membership drive was launched at Department of Chemistry and Biology (BCH), and MEEM Department of City University of Hong Kong in January and November 2010, respectively.
- Membership drive at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University was held in September 2010 to attract new members
- Up to the end of June 2011, the Society has 281 individual members (with voting right), 35 Student Members and 11 Corporate Members. These 281 individual members consist of 7 Fellows, 45 Senior Members and 229 Ordinary Members. In addition, we have 81 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, and 6 Certified Laboratory Quality Specialists.
International / Regional Networking
- China Association for Quality (CAQ) and HKSQ met on 20th April 2011 to discuss the arrangement of “Asia Network for Quality (ANQ) Congress 2012”.
- Your Chairman, Ex-Chairmen (Dr. K.S. Chin) and your Hon. Secretary (Ms. Minda Chiang), represented the Society at the ASQ World Conference on Quality and Improvement (WCQI) held in Pittsburgh, PA, USA from 16 to 18 May 2011. It is the 65th anniversary celebration of ASQ.
- HKSQ executive committee members (Dr. KS Chin and Dr. Zoie Wong) and your Chairman had a lunch with Prof. Yoji Akao, father of QFD, on 19 April 2010. Prof. Yoji Akao is Honorary President of the Hong Kong Quality Function Deployment Association (HKQFDA).
- HKSQ had also supported the conference on “Green Quality Management – Striving for lean and low carbon culture” organized by The IET Hong Kong Network held on 28 May 2011.
- Your Chairman represented the Society to attend HKQAA Symposium 2010, and was invited by the International Six Sigma Council (ISSC) for ISSC Networking Dinner on 5 May 2011, as well as, the 5th Fellowship Dinner organized by Six Sigma Society of Hong Kong (SSS) on 9 June 2011.
- Dr. KS Chin and your Chairman were invited to be keynote speakers at TQM Kaz–2011 held in Kazakhstan, which was organized by International Association of Quality Managers and Auditors (IAQMA). It is our honour to be appointed as Honorary Members of IAQMA.
Seminars, workshops and technical visits were organized by the Society. These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- Workshops/Training Course
- The “Certificate Course in Quality Management for Laboratory” organized by HKSQ and Department of Biology and Chemistry, The City University of Hong Kong (CityU) commenced in January 2011, with 12 students from CityU and 12 other participants.
- Two workshops on Body of Knowledge for Quality Engineer were conducted during the period from 4 September to 6 November 2010, with 11 participants, and from 13 November 2010 to 15 January 2011 with 17 participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence was conducted during the period from 8 January to 26 February 2011, with 7 participants.
- The first Laboratory Management Workshop in Macau was co-organized by Hong Kong Society for Quality (香港品質學會) on 11 June 2011, with 25 participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Six Sigma Black Belt was conducted during the period from 28 May to 30 July 2011, with 6 participants.
- Technical Meetings
- The seminar “The Best Renewable Energy for Hong Kong” was held immediately after AGM on 23 July 2010, with 24 members.
- “From Paper to Electronic Records – What You Need to Know” organized by Hong Kong Science and Technology Park (HKSTP) & co-organized by Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) will be held on 30 July 2010.
- Seminar on “Market-oriented Environmental Management and Evaluation: Theories and Methods of Mathematical and Economic Approaches” (市場化環境管理與評價的數學與經濟學理論與方法) held on 6 August 2010 was co-organized by HKSQ and America Society for Quality – Hong Kong region (ASQ-HK).
- Seminar on “Shazhai Culture and Innovation Management: The Case Study on Shanzhai Handset” (山寨文化與創新治理: 山寨手機案例分析) held on 20 August 2010 was co-organized by HKSQ and ASQ-HK.
- Seminar on “Lean Thinking for Supply Stream” held on 29 October 2010 was co-organized by HKSQ and Institute for Supply Management – Pearl River Delta (ISM-PRD).
- Seminar on “Introduction to European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM)” held on 25 October 2010 was co-organized by HKSQ and ASQ-HK.
- Seminar on “Introduction of Upcoming Energy Management System Development” held on 14 November 2010 was organized by SGS and co-organized by HKSQ and ASQ-HK. It was an activity for Quality World Month.
- Seminar on “New Trend of CSR & Sustainability Reporting Seminar” held on 9 December 2010 was co-organized by HKSQ, SGS and ASQ-HK.
- The Technical Seminar on “Product Testing and Certification” held on 26 March 2011 and Seminar on “From Tea to Business Philosophy” (由茶道到商道研討會) held on 16 April 2011 were supported by HKSQ.
- Technical Visits
- The technical visit to BYD Company Limited (比亞迪) and Huizhou Desay SV Automotive Co., Ltd (德賽西威) held on 30 July 2010, with 44 participants.
- The technical visit to AES Destructive and Non-Destructive Testing Ltd. held on 12 December 2010, with 15 participants
- The visit to Huawei, IGRS and Tsinghua University in Shenzhen (華為, 閃聯, 清華一天考察團) was organized by Hong Kong Electronics & Technologies Association (HKETA) and supported by Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) on 17 December 2010.
- A study mission to visit ZhaoQing Asia Aluminium Factory Co., Ltd. (肇慶亞洲鋁廠有限公司) and Leading Edge Construction Materials Testing Co., Ltd. (領鋒建材檢測有限公司) on 21 and 22 January 2011, with 10 participants.
- The technical visit to JBT and ASD Shenzhen Factories held on 29 April 2011, with 23 participants.
- Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the 7th Company Based Student Project Competition which attracted 5 contesting teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and The University of Hong Kong. We are grateful to TDK-EPC Hong Kong Limited for offering contestants with real projects in its operation, hosting a works visit for contestants to make observations and collect data, and serving on the judging panel.
Service to Corporate Members
- Dr. Albert Tsang, Dr. Aaron Tong and your Chairman led a team to visit one of HKSQ corporate members and conducted a gap analysis for its management system based on the requirements of Hong Kong Industry Award – Quality and Productivity, on 22 April 2011.
Service to the Community
- Your Chairman was invited as representative of the Society to attend and support different seminars organized by the Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC) and Hong Kong Accreditation Service (HKAS) in 2010/2011. These activities are listed but not limited to:
- The seminar on Support to Testing and Certification Industry on 25 October 2010.
- Seminar on Drug Testing Technology on 25th March 2011.
- Seminar on Toys Product Testing – Latest Development and Business Opportunities on 28 April 2011. HKSQ was one of supporting organizations.
- The Technical Workshop entitled “On-Site Detection of Radioactive Contamination”on 22 June 2011.
- Your Chairman was appointed as a member of Testing, Inspection and Certification (TIC) Industry Training Advisory Committee (ITAC) with effect on 15 August 2010.
- Dr. Aaron Tong represented HKSQ to join the 2008/2010 SME Mentorship Programme Celebration organized by Trade and Industry Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Your Chairman was invited to join the CityU Eminence Society as Founding Member.
- Mr. Karson Chui, Mr. Humphrey Lee, Ms. Minda Chiang and Dr. Albert Tsang served as proctors of ASQ certification examinations held in Hong Kong during the year under review.
- Dr. K.S. Chin served ASQ as the Country Representative in Hong Kong.
- Professor Fugee Tsung, Head of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and Dr. K.S. Chin, Assistant Professor in the Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management at City University of Hong Kong, both are members of our Executive Committee, were elected Academician and Associate Member, respectively, of the International Academy for Quality (IAQ), the world’s most prestigious global organization in the field of quality in recognition of their significant contributions to quality.
Internet Communication Group
- HKSQ LinkedIn Group (Established since 2009) – No. of group member: 99
- HKSQ Facebook Group (Established since 2010) – No. of group member: 32
- HKSQ Twitter Group (Established since 2010) – No. of group member: 9
In the coming year, your Society will continue to promote quality especially in Service Quality and we will focus on organizing ANQ 2012 Congress in Hong Kong. Through the ANQ 2012 Congress, the Society will increase its collaboration with various international and local quality related associations. Furthermore, the reputation of the Society will be enhanced through participation in Government sponsored initiatives such as HKCTC, HKAS and HKQF.
Finally, I wish to express my gratitude to all regular and co-opted members of the Executive Committee for their full commitment and support in the past year, especially for the HKSQ 25th Anniversary Publication and the coming ANQ 2012 Congress.
Prepared by Lotto Lai
Chairman – 2010/2011