November 2018 is World Quality Month. To celebrate the occasion, HKSQ has organized or supported a series of activities including seminars and technical visits for its members and quality professionals in Hong Kong.
HKSQ’s Quality Month Activities:
- Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Quality Engineer, jointly organized by HKSQ and ASQ – 10 November to 15 December 2018.
- Seminar on “Quality Innovation: From i4.0 to Q4.0”, jointly organized by HKSQ and ASQ – 16 November 2018.
- Seminar on “Asset Management & Reliability: Machine Learning + AI”, jointly organized by HKSQ, Minitab and TQM Consultants – 17 November 2018.
- Implementation of ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 in R&D Companies – ASTRI Experience Sharing, organized by HKSQ and supported by ASQ, organized by HKSQ and supported by ASQ – 30 November 2018.
- 2018 OUHK Testing & Certification Day, organized by The Open University of Hong Kong and supported by HKSQ – 3 November 2018.
- The 3rd World Summit for Chinese Quality (WSCQ) 第三屆全球華人品質峰會, organized by Pre-World Alliance for Chinese Quality (WACQ) (全球華人品質聯盟(籌)) and supported by HKSQ – 8 and 9 November 2018, Singapore
- Open Forum: Entrepreneurship in the Greater Bay Area, organized by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and supported by HKSQ – 17 November 2018
Facts about World Quality Day and Month
(Source: Presentation at ASQ’s WorldPartners Workshop held on 16 May 2011)
- Chartered Quality Institute celebrates World Quality Day each year in November with activities and events to promote quality around the world.
- Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers (JUSE) has been celebrating World Quality Month in Japan since 1960 by organizing events in collaboration with Japanese Standards Association (JSA), Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI), Nippon Hoso Kyokai (NHK), The Japanese Society for Quality Control (JSQC), The Japan Productivity Center (JPC), JCA, Quality Engineering Society (QES), QC, Keidanren.
- Many organizations in Europe have marked “Quality Week” for 20 years, including European Organization for Quality (EOQ), World Alliance for Quality (WAQ), Indian Society for Quality (ISQ), Vlaams Centrum voor Kwaliteitszorg (VCK).
- Many other organizations and governments organize quality events locally and nationally to celebrate World Quality Day.
National Quality Month in the USA
- In the 1980 and 1990s ASQ played a leadership role in establishing and conducting National Quality Month in the USA.
- Events, publications, corporate endorsements, member events are organized to celebrate the occasion.
- Many ASQ divisions and sections celebrate National Quality Month in October 2011.
World Quality Month – From Concept to Action 2010
- Build on collaboration, cooperation of world quality leaders to increase the visibility and global understanding of quality techniques, tools and systems.
- Heighten focus on advancements and contributions in businesses, institutions and communities – locally, nationally, regionally and globally.
- By uniting in vision, voice and a virtual showcase each year, the story and importance of World-wide Quality in the 21st Century will be shared.
- Many organizations, including Chartered Quality Institute (CQI), JUSE, Programa Gaúcho da Qualidade e Produtividade (PGQP), The Portuguese Association for Quality (APQ) and VCK, shared their on-going annual events for celebration and ideas for partnering.
Additional Information of Quality Month, Week and Day
I. Quality Month
In Japan, November is designated “Quality Month” since 1960. Quality Month activities have been organized to foster greater quality awareness and wider dissemination of quality control activities. (Japanese Standards Association)
In the USA and Canada, Quality Month started in 1988. October is designated as “Quality Month”. National Quality Month (NQM) is a public awareness campaign that encourages business, industry, government, and academia to focus on the strategic importance of quality and continuous improvement. (American Society for Quality)
For more than a decade, European Quality Month has been established as a focus for campaigns of public awareness, promotion and demonstration of the importance of quality to competitiveness. The initiatives (conferences, training, workshops, etc.) related to quality organized to celebrate the occasion help the general public to become acquainted with the principles and rationales of quality.
II. World Quality Day
The purpose of ‘World Quality Day’ is to promote awareness of quality around the world and to encourage individuals’ development and organizations’ prosperity.
First promulgated by the United Nations in 1990, World Quality Day aims to raise international awareness of the important role quality plays in ensuring nations’ prosperity. Now it is celebrated annually on the second Thursday of November.
In the UK, Chartered Quality Institute (CQI) celebrates World Quality Day with events in the week that includes the World Quality Day.
Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers (JUSE) is promoting World Quality Day to its members and community alongside CQI.
The South African Quality Institute also celebrates National Quality Week annually.
In a global economy where success depends on quality, innovation and sustainability, World Quality Day is a chance to reinforce these as the foundations of an organization and focus on the importance of Quality.
III. The European Quality Week
Organized by the European Organization for Quality (EOQ), The European Quality Week is an annual focus for campaigns of public awareness, promotion and demonstration of the advantages and importance of quality to competitiveness across Europe. It takes place in November during the week that includes the second Thursday of the month – World Quality Day.
In 2008, the Czech Society for Quality launched “The Quality Manager of the Year” competition in connection with the international “European Quality Leader” competition proclaimed by the European Organisation for Quality (EOQ).
Results are announced annually in November within the framework of the Quality Month and European Quality Week in the Czech Republic.
Past World Quality Month Events in Hong Kong: