Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) has recorded another successful year in 2015/2016 on its commitment to serving local quality professionals in the past 30 years.
This report includes the major events in the fiscal year ending 30th June 2016 as following.
Executive Committee and Representatives
||Mr. Peter Fung
|Vice Chairman :
||Ms. Angela Wong
|Hon. Secretary :
||Ms Minda Chiang
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Mr. Karson Chui
|Regular Committee Members :
||Dr. K.S. Chin
Mr. CP Chow
Dr. Lotto Lai
Mr. S.W. Lam
Mr. Humphrey Lee
Mr. Ricky Suen (elected on 29 Jan 2016)
Dr. Aaron W.K. Tong
Dr. Albert Tsang
Mr. Ben Tsang
Prof. Fugee Tsung
|Co-opted Members :
||Mr. Raymond Chan
Mr. Derek Kung
Dr. Sherman Ngan
Dr. Steven Shum
Mr. Eric Suen
Dr. Jacky Ting
Mr. Simon Tong
Dr. Ken Yau
|HKSQ Oversea Representatives :
||Prof. Frankey Pun (Representative of the Americas)
Dr. Andy Wong (Representative of the UK)
Dr. Zoie Wong (Representative of Japan)
- In the 2015/2016 session, the Executive Committee met 11 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review. In addition, one Extraordinary General Meeting was held on 29 Jan 2016 to approve the audited financial report for 2014/2015 and election of one new Executive Committee member.
- HKSQ activities held in 2015/2016 are summarized as follows:
- Membership drive: 5
- Workshops/Training: 7
- Seminars: 23 (13 organized by HKSQ; 10 supported by HKSQ)
- Study Missions: 1
- Technical Visits: 3
- Student Project Competition: 1
- Publications: 3
- These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- Membership, Membership Drive and Professional Certifications
- Up to end of June 2016, the Society has 366 individual members (with voting rights), 4 Student Members and 13 Corporate Members. These 366 individual members consist of 283 Ordinary Members, 76 Senior Members and 7 Fellows.
- Membership drive was conducted at City University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong and The University of Hong Kong to attract new members from undergraduate and post-graduate students.
- The Society has 33 Certified Six Sigma Black Belts, 118 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, 2 Certified Laboratory Quality Specialists, 3 Provisional Laboratory Quality Specialists and 18 Certified Quality Engineers on its registers of certified quality professionals.
- A new Certification Scheme – HKSQ Certified Quality Manager was announced on 4 March 2016. It provides opportunity for members interested in continuous professional learning and applying for professional certification as a Quality Manager.
- Workshops/Training Courses
- Workshop on BOK for Six Sigma Black Belt, Jul – Sep 2015
- Workshop on BOK for CMQ/OE, Oct – Nov 2015
- Workshop on BOK for Quality Engineer, Jan – Mar 2016
- Training course for Certified Six Sigma Green Belt, Dec 2015 – Jan 2016
- Workshop on BOK for Reliability Engineer, Apr – May 2016
- Bridging course of Six Sigma Black Belt, May – Jul 2016
- Training course on Pharmaceutical GMP, Jun – Jul 2016
- Technical Meetings /Seminars
Events Organized by HKSQ:
- The seminar titled “Rethinking Quality Culture Development”, 17 July 2015.
- The seminar titled “Introduction to ASQ Certification Programs”, 31 July 2015.
- The seminar titled “ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015 – Executive Overview”, 13 August 2015
- The seminar titled “Strategic Energy Management”, 14 August 2015.
- The seminar titled “Riding the Wave of Big Data: Towards a Rapid Systematic Innovation Framework”, 21 August 2015.
- The seminar titled “Strategic Management by Policy (SMBP) – Integration of Strategic Planning and Policy Management”, 22 August 2015.
- The seminar titled “An Organization Development Study of the Impact of Cultural Factors on the Implementation of the Six Sigma Methodology in Southern China”, 9 October 2015.
- The seminar titled “Listening to the Voice of Customer”, 13 November 2015.
- The seminar titled “ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & ISO/CD 45001 New Requirements & Implementation”, 20 November 2015.
- The seminar titled “Impact of ISO 9001:2015 on Outsourcing”, 23 November 2015.
- The seminar titled “Quality Water Supply from Source to Home”, 1 February 2016.
- The seminar titled “HKSQ Certified Quality Manager (CQM) Certification”, 4 March 2016.
- The seminar titled “Quality Philosophies Series – Deming, Juran and Crosby”, 9 April 2016.
Events Supported by HKSQ:
- The Society supported 10 events in last fiscal year. We continued to support other local and international professional bodies in organizing seminars or symposia that align with our objectives to leverage the resources and allow members to join these activities at no cost or at discounted prices.
- Study Mission
- The study mission to Purzer Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Taipei was held on 22 Sep 2015.
- Technical Visits
- Shenzhen Academy of Metrology & Quality Inspection, 3 Oct 2015
- Tsinghua University Science Park (TusPark), 6 Nov 2015
- Macau University & Macau Quality Management Association, 3 Jun 2016
- Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the Company Based Student Project Competition in Jan – Mar 2016. It attracted teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Chinese University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong University. We are grateful to LSG Sky Chefs for offering contestants with real projects in their operations, hosting a works visit for contestants to make observations and collect data, and serving on the judging panel of the Competition.
- HKSQ 30th Anniversary Commemorative Publication was printed in May 2016
- HKSQ 2015 Highlights was printed in Q1, 2016
- “A Study on Transforming Quality Innovation in Hong Kong: Recommendations to the Innovation and Technology Industry” issued in Aug 2015, was carried out by Dr. Lotto Lai (Former Chairman).
- International Conference
- The Society organized the 1st World Summit for Chinese Quality. This event was hosted by HKSQ in CityU on 8 July 2016. 100 local and overseas quality practitioners attended this Summit. Details of this event will be reported in the next annual report.
- Social Events
- Dinner Gathering with members after the last AGM held on 17 July 2015
- Tapas, Iberico Ham and Wine Pairing Workshop, 12 December 2015
- Lei Yue Mun Village Heritage Walking Tour, 9 January 2016
International / Regional Networking
- Chairman and Exco members represented the Society to attend the ANQ Congress in Taipei in Sep 2015 so as to build working relationships with other ANQ member organizations.
- Chairman and Exco members represented the Society to attend the Chinese Quality Forum (華人品質論壇) pre-meeting held in Taipei on 23 September 2015.
- Dr. K.S. Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Ms. Minda Chiang represented the Society to attend the World Quality Forum 2015 organized by International Academy for Quality (IQA), Budapest, 26-27 October 2015.
- Chairman and Exco members represented the Society to attend the 3rd Chinese Quality Forum (CQF) held in Beijing on 4-6 November 2015.
- Dr. Lotto Lai represented HKSQ to attend the 1st and 2nd meetings of the Innovation Alliance of the Extenics for “Extenics Innovation Method Training”, organized by Chinese Association for Artificial Intelligence, 7 May and 5 Jun 2016.
- Dr. Albert Tsang, Dr. Lotto Lai and Ms. Minda Chiang represented the Society to attend the 2016 ASQ World Conference for Quality and Improvement held in Milwaukee, 16-18 May 2016.
- Dr. Albert Tsang has been serving as the Country Counsellor of ASQ in Hong Kong since 2013, he also represents HKSQ on matters relating to ASQ.
- Dr. KS Chin represents HKSQ on matters relating to ANQ.
Service to the Community
- The Society has provided a 5-year sponsorship program for Student Project Competition winners and full time Research students to present their quality related research work at ANQ Congress starting in 2015.
- The Society served as a member of the Advisory Committee for Start-up Companies. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
- The Society served as a member of the Technical Advisory Committee of the Hong Kong Brand Development Council. (Represented by Dr. Albert Tsang)
- The Society served as a mentor in the SUCCESS Mentorship Program. (Represented by Dr. Aaron Tong)
- The Society served as a member of the HKQF for TIC Industry Training Advisory Committee. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
- Chairman and former Chairman presented the Quality Engineering, System and Innovation topics to CityU, HKUST and CUHK students at industrial experience sharing sessions organized by the above mentioned universities. (Mr. Peter Fung and Dr. Lotto Lai)
Internet Communication Group
- HKSQ LinkedIn Group (Established since 2009)
- HKSQ Facebook Group (Established since 2010)
- HKSQ Twitter Group (Established since 2010)
- We continued to make use of Social Media such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to share quality related information with quality practitioners worldwide.
Here, we are thankful for all the participation and support from members, partners and sponsors that made the above events successful.
Last but not least, I am sincerely grateful for the contributions of the Executive Committee and Sub-committee members’ efforts in promoting quality awareness in Hong Kong. Without your hard work in planning and implementation, the above activities would not be that successful.
Prepared by Peter K. Fung
Chairman – 2015/2016