|The Chairman’s Report (2018/2019 session)|
Section B. Governance
- In the 2018/2019 session, the Executive Committee met 4 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
Section C. Activities
- HKSQ activities held in 2017/2018 are summarized below:
- Membership drive: 3
- Workshop/Training courses: 3
- Seminars: 14 (5 organized by HKSQ; 8 supported by HKSQ)
- Conferences: 2 International, 4 local/Mainland
- Study Mission / Technical Visit: 1
- Publications 5 (Newsletters and Highlights)
- Government Funded Project: 1
- These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- 1. Membership, Membership Drive and Professional Certifications
- Up to end of June 2019, the Society has 283 individual members (with voting rights), 1 Student Member and 12 Corporate Members. These 283 individual members consist of 216 Ordinary Members, 60 Senior Members and 7 Fellows.
- Membership drives were conducted at City University of Hong Kong by Chairman (Lotto), The Hong Kong Polytechnic University by Former Chairmen (Albert and Peter on two separate occasions) to attract new members from undergraduate / post-graduate students and industry.
- The Society has 23 Certified Six Sigma Black Belts, 146 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, 2 Certified Laboratory Quality Specialists and 26 Certified Quality Engineers on its registers of certified quality professionals.
- 2. Workshops/Training Courses
- Workshop on BOK for Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence, 14 Jul – 11 Aug 2018
- Workshop on BOK for Quality Engineer, 10 Nov – 15 Dec 2018
- Workshop on BOK for Six-Sigma Black Belt, 13 Apr – 8 Jun 2019
- 3. Seminars
Events Organized by HKSQ:
- Seminar on “Quality Innovation from i4.0 to Q4.0”, 16 Nov 2018
- Seminar on “Asset Management and Reliability: Machine Learning + AI”, 17 Nov 2018
- Seminar on “Implementation of ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 for R&D Companies – ASTRI Experience Sharing”, 30 Nov 2018.
- Seminar on “ASQ Certification Process: A Sharing Session”, 7 Dec 2018
- Seminar on “Evolving Construction Quality Management in Practice”, 26 Apr 2019
Events Supported by HKSQ:
- The Society supported 8 quality related events hosted by other organizations in last fiscal year. We continued to support other local and international professional bodies in organizing seminars or symposia that align with our objectives to leverage the resources and allow members to join these activities at no cost or at discounted prices.
- 4. Conferences (attended by delegates from HKSQ)
- ANQ Congress 2018, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 19 – 20 September 2018
- World Alliance for Chinese Quality (WACQ) Summit, Singapore, 8 November 2018
- ASQ World Conference for Quality and Improvement held in Fort Worth, TX, May 20 – 22, 2019.
Mainland China and Local Conference:
- The 16th Annual Meeting of Extenics (全國第16屆可拓學年會), organized by Chinese Association for Artificial Intelligence (CAAI) (中國人工智能學會), hosted by CAAI Extenics Professional Committee (中國人工智能學會可拓學專業委員會), Zhuhai, 18 – 19 May 2018. (Chairman as one of the speakers)
- OUHK Testing and Certification Day 2018 was held on 3 Nov 2018
- Mainland and Hong Kong Frontier Discipline Development Forum – Digital Transformation and Innovation in Manufacturing (内地与香港前沿学科发展论坛：制造业数字化转型与创新), jointly organized by National Natural Science Foundation of China (国家自然科学基金委员会) and Beijing – Hong Kong Academic Exchange Centre (京港学术交流中心), and hosted by Guangdong University of Technology (广东工业大学), 29 – 30 Nov 2018. (Chairman was invited as guest speaker)
- AI and Big Data Innovation Forum, supported by HKSQ, 1 Mar 2019
- 5. Study Mission and Visit
- Technical Visit to Hong Kong West Kowloon Station, 21 Dec 2018.
- 6. Student Project Competition
- Since the economic environment had changed, it was difficult to find a company to sponsor this annual event in the year under review. As a result, the HKSQ company-based student project competition was suspended for one year.
- 7. Publications
- HKSQ Newsletters of 9 Jul 2018, 3 Oct 2018, 3 Jan 2019 and 3 Apr 2019 were distributed to members to update them the Society’s past and upcoming activities.
- 8. Social Events
- A dinner gathering with members was held after the last AGM. A gathering in appreciation of Mr. CP Chow’s many years of contribution to HKSQ was held on 8 Sep 2018
- 9. Government Funded Project
- HKSQ proposed a project named “Feasibility Study on Quality of Hong Kong Start-up Development for Supporting Sustainable Business Growth” which aims to enhance quality management awareness in startups and assist such development. HKQAA will work as the implementation agent. The TID letter confirming the award of $1,050,129 to fund the project under the SME Development Fund (SDF) was received on 17 Jan 2019.
Section D. Networking
- Dr. Lotto Lai, Dr. Zoie Wong and Ms. Minda Chiang represented the Society to attend the ANQ Congress 2018, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 19 – 20 Sep 2018, to build working relationships with other ANQ member organizations.
- Dr. KS Chin, represented the Society to visit South African Quality Institute (SAQI), 29 Oct 2018
- Chairman and 4 members represented the Society to attend the 3rd World Alliance for Chinese Quality (WACQ) Summit, Singapore, 8 November 2018
- Dr. Lotto Lai and Minda Chiang represented the Society to attend the WACQ Meeting in Kazakhstan during ANQ 2018, 17 Sep 2018
- Dr. Albert Tsang represented the Society to attend the ASQ World Conference for Quality and Improvement held in Fort Worth, TX, May 20 – 22, 2019. He shared the experiences of running HKSQ with other ASQ World Partners in the World Partners Meeting held on May 21, 2019.
- Dr. Albert Tsang represents HKSQ on matters relating to ASQ.
- Dr. KS Chin represents HKSQ on matters relating to ANQ.
- Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Dr. Aaron Tong represents HKSQ on matters relating to WACQ.
- Local / Mainland:
- The Chairman was awarded outstanding contributors (優秀工作者) by Extenics Professional Committee of Chinese Association for Artificial Intelligence (CAAI) (中國人工智能學會可拓學專業委員會) on 19 Aug 2018
- Dr. KS Chin and Dr. Lotto Lai represented the Society to attend a meeting with HKQAA on 17 Jan 2019 to discuss matters relating to the project funded by the TID SME Development Fund.
- Dr. Lotto Lai and Dr. Aaron Tong represented the Society to visit Shenzhen Intellectual Property Society (SZIPS) (深圳市知识产权研究会) on 27 Jun 2019.
Section E. Service to the Community
- The Society served as a member of the Advisory Committee of HKQAA for Start-up Companies. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
- The Society served as a member of the Technical Advisory Committee of the Hong Kong Brand Development Council. (Represented by Dr. Albert Tsang)
- The Society served as a mentor in the SUCCESS Mentorship Program. (Represented by Dr. Aaron Tong)
- The Society served as a member of the HKQF for TIC Industry Training Advisory Committee. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
Section F. Internet Communication Groups
- HKSQ LinkedIn Group (Established since 2009)
- HKSQ Facebook Group (Established since 2010)
- HKSQ Twitter Group (Established since 2010)
- We continued to make use of Social Media such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to share quality related information with quality practitioners worldwide.
Here, we are thankful for the participation and support from members, partners and sponsors that made the above events successful.
Last but not least, I am sincerely grateful for the contributions of the Executive Committee, Sub-committee and co-opt members’ efforts after Mr. CP Chow’s retirement. Without your hard work in planning and implementation, the above activities would not have been performed successfully.
Prepared by Lotto Lai
Chairman – 2018/2019