|The Chairman’s Report (2021/2022 session)|
Section B. Governance
In the 2021/2022 session, the Executive Committee met 3 times (online) to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
Section C. Activities
HKSQ activities held in 2021/2022 are summarized below:
- Membership drive: 1 (CityU)
- Workshop/Training courses: 10 (Online)
- Seminars: 11 (8 organized by HKSQ; 3 supported by HKSQ)
- Conferences: 2 International, 1 local/Mainland
- Study Mission / Technical Visit: 1
- Student Project Competition: 0
- Social Event: 0
- Publications: 4 Newsletters, plus the 35th Anniversary Publication
- Government Funded Project: 1
These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
1. Membership, Membership Drive and Professional Certifications
Up to end of July 2022, the Society has 66 individual members (with voting rights) and 8 Corporate Members. The 66 individual members consist of 28 Ordinary Members, 35 Senior Members and 3 Fellows.
A membership drive was conducted at City University of Hong Kong by Chairman (Lotto) to attract new members from undergraduate, post-graduate students and industry.
The Society has 48 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, 3 Certified Six Sigma Black Belts and 6 Certified Quality Engineers on its registers of certified quality professionals.
2. Workshops / Training Courses
Trade and Industry Department (TID) Funded project named “Feasibility Study on the Quality of Hong Kong Start-up Development for Supporting the Sustainable Business Growth” – HKSQ and HKQAA jointly delivered 10 implementation workshops for startup (初創企業實踐工作坊).
- Quality Management 16 May 2–5 pm
- Quality Management 18 May 2–5 pm
- Risk Management 27 June 2–5 pm
- Risk Management 30 June 2–5 pm
- Information Security 01 June 2–5 pm
- Information Security 09 June 2–5 pm
- Data Protection & Privacy 06 June 2–5 pm
- Data Protection & Privacy 08 June 2–5 pm
- Financial Management 06 July 2–5 pm
- Financial Management 11 July 2–5 pm
Events Organized by HKSQ:
- HKSQ Webinar named “Why we need Inspection Service”, 24th June 2022 (Online)
- HKSQ x EngDS Webinar named “The Chinese Intelligent Manufacturing Capability Maturity Model and Its Assessment Method” on 28th May 2022 (Online)
- HKSQ x EngDS Webinar named “Survival Mode Quality: Quality & Innovation Tools, and ISO Standards for Survival in a Pandemic” on 30th April 2022.
- HKSQ x EngDS Webinar named “Decision Quality enhancement by using Transformation Bridge on Anti-Epidemic Strategies (運用轉換橋分析「動態清零」和「與病毒共存」的矛盾問題及提升決策質量的初探)” on 23rd March 2022
- HKSQ Webinar on “A Framework of Use for QFD” on 19th March 2022
- Two TID Project Sharing Seminars (both Online & Onsite) were delivered in Cyberport and Innocentre – HKSTP on 26th & 29th October 2021
- AGM technical seminar with the theme “Intelligence of Everything (萬物智能)”on 24th September 2021
Events Supported by HKSQ:
The Society supported 3 quality related events hosted by other organizations in last fiscal year. We continued to support other local and international professional bodies in organizing seminars or symposia that align with our objectives to leverage the resources and allow members to join these activities at no cost or at discounted prices.
4. Conferences (attended by delegates from HKSQ)
- The 6th World Summit for Chinese Quality (WSCQ) jointly organized by Hong Kong Society for Quality, City University of Hong Kong and pre-World Alliance for Chinese Quality (pre-WACQ – 全球華人品質聯盟(籌)) on 26th November 2021 (Online and on-site) (Dr. K.S. Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai, Ms. Minda Chiang, Dr. Jane Wong, Ms. Angela Wong, Mr. SW Lam and Ms. Sunny Meng, as well as 3 other HKSQ member attended the Summit on-site)
- ANQ Congress 2021, Singapore, 22 – 20th and 21st October 2021 (Dr. K.S. Chin, Dr. Albert Tsang and Dr. Lotto Lai attended online)
- At the ANQ Congress 2021, IKA Silver Medal was awarded to Dr. Albert Tsang (Former Chairman, HKSQ) to recognize his long-term outstanding contribution to Hong Kong, China and 5 other countries
Mainland China and Local Conferences:
- The 17th Extenics Annual Meeting (全国第17届可拓学年会) – 12th to 15th August 2021 (Online)
- Dr. Lotto Lai was an invited speaker at the Extension Innovation Sharing Session (可拓创新分享会) held on 6th October 2021
5. Study Mission / Technical Visit
Technical visit to Exhibition Centre MTR Station (港鐵會展站) co-organized with Hong Kong Chinese Institute of Engineers (HKCIE) on 17th June 2022
6. Student Project Competition
Due to the challenging economic environment and the persistent COVID-19 pandemic, it became difficult to find a company to sponsor this event. Thus, the HKSQ Company-Based Student Project Competition had been suspended in the past few years.
- HKSQ Newsletters of October 2021, January 2022, April 2022 and July 2022 were distributed to members to update them the past and forthcoming activities.
- The publication commemorating your Society’s 35th anniversary was published in May 2022.
8. Social Event
9. Government Funded Project
HKSQ proposed project named “Feasibility Study on the Quality of Hong Kong Start-up Development for Supporting the Sustainable Business Growth” with the aim to enhance startup companies’ quality management awareness and assist their development. In this project HKQAA served as the implementation agent. We are awarded a sum of $1,050,129 under the SME Development Fund (SDF) to run the project. The project started in April 2020. Since Covid-19 had affected the data gathering process, duration of the project has been extended to be completed in September 2022.
Section D. Networking
Internationa l/ Regional:
- Lotto Lai represents HKSQ to attend ANQ Spring Meeting of Certification and Education Committee (CEC), Board and General Meetings on 21st & 22nd March 2022
- Albert Tsang represents HKSQ on matters relating to ASQ
- KS Chin represents HKSQ on matters relating to ANQ
- Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Dr. Aaron Tong represents HKSQ on matters relating to WACQ
Local / Mainland:
- Aaron Tong, Dr. Lotto Lai and Dr. KS Chin joined the Annual Working Meeting of World Alliance of Chinese Quality (全球華人品質聯盟年度工作會議) on 20th April 2022. (Online)
- Dr. Jane Wong and Dr. Lotto Lai represented HKSQ to attend the 1st Promotion and Consultation Subcommittee meeting of Industry Training Advisory Committee for Testing, Inspection & Certification Industry (TIC-ITAC) under Hong Kong Qualification Framework (HKQF) was held on 26th May 2022
Section E. Service to the Community
- The Society served as a member of the Advisory Committee of HKQAA for Start-up Companies. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
- The Society served as a mentor in the SUCCESS Mentorship Program. (Represented by Dr. Aaron Tong)
- The Society served as a member of the HKQF for TIC Industry Training Advisory Committee. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
- The Society served as a member of the Promotion and Consultation Subcommittee meeting of Industry Training Advisory Committee for Testing, Inspection & Certification Industry (TIC-ITAC) under HKQF. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai & Dr. Jane Wong)
Section F. Internet Communication Groups
We continued to make use of Social Media such as Facebook and LinkedIn to share quality related information with quality practitioners worldwide.
We are thankful for the participation and support from members, partners and sponsors who made the above events successful.
Last but not least, I am sincerely grateful for the contributions of the Executive Committee during this COVID-19 period from 2021 to 2022. More online activities such as webinars and workshops will be planned in future. Without your valuable contribution in planning and implementation, our administration and the above activities would not have been organized successfully.
Prepared by Lotto Lai
Chairman – 2021/2022