|The office bearers and members of the Executive Committee for the financial year ending 30 June 2007 are as follows:
||Dr. Albert Tsang
|Vice Chairman :
||Mr. Lotto Lai
|Hon. Secretary :
||Mr. Peter Fung
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Mr. Humphrey Lee
|Regular Committee Members :
||Dr. K.S. Chin
||Mr. Karson Chui
||Mr. C.P. Chow
||Dr. Aaron Tong
||Dr. Fugee Tsung
||Dr. James Lam
||Mr. Vincent Cheng
||Mr. S.W. Lam
||Mr. Ben Tsang
The 2006/07 session marks the 20th anniversary of the Society since the founding of its predecessor – the Hong Kong Group of the American Society for Quality Control. In celebration of the big occasion, a commemorative publication was produced and widely distributed to members, local and overseas partners of the Society, as well as organizations that were hosts of works visits organized by the Society. Besides, a souvenir celebrating the anniversary was also made available to members. Production of the commemorative publication and souvenirs was partly funded by sponsorships from our partners, organizations, and professional bodies reputable in the quality field.
We introduced 2 certification schemes to give recognition to members with the professional knowledge required of specific roles in quality field, namely Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) and Laboratory Quality Specialist (CLabQS), respectively. Despite the brevity since its launch, 57 members were already on our register of SSGB by the end of June 2007. This demonstrates that the scheme was well received by members.
We maintained established links and developed new ones with other professional bodies locally and globally through the organization of and participation in joint events, as well as involvement in various forms of networking activities. These efforts are reflected in the highlights of the Society’s affairs in the year under review, which are presented below.
- The Executive Committee met 12 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings, held on 7 October 2006 was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
- The annual Membership drive was launched in September 2006 at City University of Hong Kong and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University to attract new members.
- Up to the end of June 2007, the Society has 305 members of various grades, a growth of about 20% in 12 months. 117 of these members joined us in the past year. The Society so far has 5 Fellows and 29 Senior Members. As a result of our recent senior membership drive, 17 members applied for upgrade to senior member in the coming year.
- The benefits of Corporate Membership were finalized and announced on the Society・s web site. Reputable organizations are being approached for registration as our Corporate Members.
nternational / Regional Networking
- Your Chairman, Dr. K.S. Chin and Lotto Lai represented the Society at the 4th Asian Network for Quality (ANQ) Conference held in Singapore, 27 to 29 September 2006. They also presented papers at the event.
- Your Vice Chairman (Lotto Lai) represented the Society to attend the HKQAA Symposium on “Global Business Initiative: Corporate Social Responsibility” held on 29 November 2006. The Society was a supporting body of the event.
- Your Chairman and Ben Tsang represented the Society to attend the Fellowship Dinner of Six Sigma Society held on 1 February 2007.
- Your Chairman represented the Society to attend the HKQAA and IQA MoU Signing Ceremony & Executive Seminar held on 2 February 2007.
- Dr. Aaron Tong attended the 61st American Society for Quality (ASQ) Annual Conference held in Orlando, USA in May 2007. As representative of HKSQ, he networked with delegates from other member organizations of ASQ WorldPartners and friends at ASQ.
- Dr. Fugee Tsung represented the Society to deliver a talk on “Service Six Sigma in Hong Kong” at the Hong Kong Six Sigma Forum 2007 organized by The Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET) on 21 April 2007. He will also serve in the same capacity at the 12th Hong Kong Quality Management Convention scheduled for 22 to 24 August 2007.
- The Society was a supporting organization of the seminar on “High Performance Manufacturing and Supply Chain Excellence” organized by the Centre for Supply Chain Management and Logistics.
Seminars, workshops and technical visits were organized by the Society. These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- Workshops/Training Course
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Quality Engineer was conducted during the period from 12 August to 30 September 2006 (24 instructional hours). 12 participants enrolled on the workshop.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence was conducted during the period from 12 October to 25 November 2006 (21 instructional hours). 7 participants enrolled on the workshop.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Six Sigma Black Belt was conducted during the period from 16 December 2006 to 24 February 2007 (30 instructional hours). 11 participants enrolled on the workshop.
- The Certificate Course in Quality Management for Laboratory, with CityU as the co-organizer, had its 3rd intake in the year under review. It was conducted during the period from 25 January to 29 April 2007 (27 instructional hours), with 21 participants.
- The Six Sigma Green Belt Training Course had its 2nd intake in the year under review. It commenced on 29 June and is currently on-going.
- Technical Meetings
- Seminar on “Quality Movement in United Arab Emirates (UAE)” held on 18 August 2006. It was delivered by Mr. Sunil Thawani, ASQ’s Country Councilor in UAE – 17 participants attended the event.
- Seminar on “Adoption of Just-In-Time Philosophy in E&M Industry to Facilitate Lean Construction”, with ASQ and the MIE Division of HKIE as co-organizers, held on 27 November 2006 – 17 participants attended the event.
- Seminar on “Six Sigma in Financial Services” held on 25 January 2007 – 38 participants attended the event.
- Technical Visits
- The visit to ASM Pacific Technology, with the EngD Society of CityU as co-organizer, was held on 20 October 2006, with 25 participants
- The one-day trip to Macau featuring a talk on Quality Management of Gaming Industry delivered by Prof. L.C. KOO, the Vice Chairman of Macau Gaming Research Association, took place on 9 December 2006. 11 participants took part in the event which was jointly organized by the Society and the MIE Division of HKIE.
- Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the 3rd Company Based Student Project Competition which attracted 10 contesting teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, City University of Hong Kong, University of Science and Technology, and University of Hong Kong. We are grateful to Manufacturing Modes International Ltd. for offering contestants with real projects in its operation, hosting a works visit (on 10 March 2007) for contestants to make observations and collect data, serving on the judging panel, and for its sponsorship of the prizes.
Service to the Community
- Dr. Aaron Tong represented the Society in serving as mentor in the SME Mentorship Program organized by Trade and Industry Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Dr. Albert Tsang, Mr. Karson Chui and C.P. Chow served as proctors of ASQ certification examinations held in Hong Kong.
My sincere thanks go to the regular and co-opted members of the Executive Committee, whose dedication and commitment are essential for the success of our activities in the past year.
Last but not least, congratulations to our past Chairman, Dr. Aaron Tong, for his recent election as Fellow of ASQ, the first one in China including Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Prepared by Albert Tsang
Chairman – 2006/2007