|The office bearers and members of the Executive Committee for the financial year ending 30 June 2014 are as follows:
||Mr. Karson Chui
|Vice Chairman :
||Mr. Peter Fung
|Hon. Secretary :
||Ms Minda Chiang
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Mr. C.P. Chow
|Regular Committee Members :
||Dr. Albert Tsang
Dr. K.S. Chin
Dr. Aaron W.K. Tong
Dr. Fugee Tsung
Dr. Lotto Lai
Mr. S.W. Lam
Mr. Ben Tsang
Mr. Humphrey Lee
Ms. Angela Wong
Dr. Andy Wong
|Co-opted Members :
||Mr. Eric Suen
Mr. Ricky Suen
Dr. Jacky Ting
Dr. Ken Yau
Dr. C.F. Yuen
|HKSQ Oversea Representatives :
||Prof. Frankey Pun (Representative of the Americas)
Dr. Zoie Wong (Representative of Japan)
Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) has recorded another successful year of 2013/2014 on its commitment to serving the local quality professionals in the past 28 years.
- In the 2013/2014 session, the Executive Committee met 10 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
- HKSQ activities held in 2013/2014 are summarized as follows:
- Membership drive: 3
- Study Missions: 3
- Workshops/Training: 5
- International / Regional Conference: 1
- Seminars: 17 (7 organized by HKSQ; 10 supported by HKSQ)
- Technical Visits: 4
- Student Project Competition: 1
- Membership drive was conducted at SEEM Department of City University of Hong Kong, IELM of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and at Industrial and Systems Engineering Department of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University to attract new members from undergraduate and post-graduate students.
- Up to the end of June 2014, the Society has 396 individual members (with voting rights), 6 Student Members and 12 Corporate Members. These 396 individual members consist of 7 Fellows, 73 Senior Members and 316 Ordinary Members. In addition, we have 31 Certified Six Sigma Black Belts, 144 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, 7 Certified Laboratory Quality Specialists, 6 Provisional Laboratory Quality Specialists and 4 Certified Quality Engineer.
International / Regional Networking
- HKSQ organized a Study Mission to visit manufacturers and a university in Hangzhou and Shanghai in April 2014. Besides, another Study Mission to visit GAC Toyota and TTI were arranged in Dec 2013. Both events were well received by members.
- HKSQ hosted the Chinese Quality Forum 2014 with City University of Hong Kong in March 2014, in which speakers and participants from Taiwan, Singapore and Mainland China were received.
- Dr. Albert Tsang (ASQ Country Counsellor for Hong Kong) attended the ASQ World Conference on Quality and Improvement in Texas in May 2014 to discuss the future development of ASQ-HK and its collaboration with HKSQ.
- Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai, Ms. Minda Chiang and Dr. Albert Tsang attended the ANQ Conference in Bangkok in Oct 2013 so as to maintain close working relationship with ANQ.
- Dr. KS Chin attended the ANQ CEC meeting held in Taipei in March 2014.
- Dr. KS Chin and Dr. Lotto Lai attended the 2014 ‘ Zero Defect Management International Summit’ at Beijing in May 2014 and spoke about “The Innovation and China Quality” at the opening ceremony on behalf of HKSQ.
- Dr Lotto Lai and Dr. KS Chin visited the Crosby Institute China at Beijing in May 2014.
Seminars, workshops and technical visits were organized by the Society. These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- Workshops/Training Courses
- A workshop on Quality Engineer was conducted in Sep 2013.
- A workshop on Body of Knowledge for Six Sigma Black Belt was conducted in May 2014.
- A Six Sigma Black Belt Bridging Course was conducted in June 2014.
- Two SPC Training Courses were conducted in the period from May to June 2014.
- Technical Meetings / Seminars Organized by HKSQ
- The seminar on “DOE in Service Quality” was held on 22nd October 2013.
- The seminar on “Innovation in Service Industry” was held on 1st November 2013.
- The seminar on “QM makes People and Organization SMARTER” was held on 26th November 2013
- The seminar on “Innovative Total Quality Improvement – PKIR innovation model” was held on 11th December 2013
- The seminar on “Building a Culture of Service Excellence” was held on 23rd December 2013.
- The seminar on “Enterprise Risk Management / Business Continuity (MTR)” was held on 11th February 2014.
- The seminar on “LEAN in Non-manufacturing” was held on 24th May 2014, co-organized with HKIE.
- In order to allow our members to put aside their day-to-day work, improve the Quality of Life, a Social Event ‘Oyster Shucking and Wine Pairing Workshop’ was held on 12th Jan 2014.
- Further to the walking tour to the historical development held in January 2013, a tour to the Heritage Sites of Central District was held on 14th Sep 2013.
- Seminars or Symposia Supported by HKSQ
- We continued to support other local and international professional bodies in organizing seminars or symposia that align with our objectives to leverage the resources and allow members to join these activities at no cost or at discounted prices.
- Technical Visits
- A Technical visit, together with a seminar on CLP “Power Quality” and “Asset Management”, was held on 2nd November 2013.
- A Technical visit to the MTR Super Operation Control Centre was held on 21st February 2014.
- A Technical visit to Town Gas was held on 25th April 2014; this field trip was linked to the Seminar on Innovation in Service Industry held in November 2013.
- A Technical visit to a Wine Cellar was held on 6th June 2014.
- Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the 10th Company Based Student Project Competition which attracted teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and The Chinese University of Hong Kong. We are grateful to Woodley Agri-Service Company Limited, and Green Technology Consortium for offering contestants with real projects in theirs operation, hosting a works visit for contestants to make observations and collect data, and serving on the judging panel of the competition.
Service to the Community
- Dr. Aaron Tong continues to support SUCCESS mentorship
- Dr. Lotto Lai represented HKSQ in HKQF for TIC Industry Training Advisory Committee (ITAC)
- Mr. Karson Chui, Mr. Humphrey Lee, Mr. C.P. Chow, Ms. Minda Chiang, Dr. Albert Tsang and Mr. Peter Fung served as proctors of ASQ certification examinations held in Hong Kong in the year under review.
- Dr. Albert Tsang has been serving as the Country Counselor of ASQ Hong Kong since 2013, he also serves as our Liaison Officer to ASQ.
- Dr. Albert Tsang represented HKSQ to serve as a member of the Technical Advisory Committee of the Hong Kong Brand Development Council.
- We continued to make use of Social Media such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to share quality related information with quality practitioners worldwide.
Internet Communication Group
- HKSQ LinkedIn Group (Established since 2009)
- HKSQ Facebook Group (Established since 2010)
- HKSQ Twitter Group (Established since 2010)
Prepared by Karson Chui
Chairman – 2013/2014