|The office bearers and members of the Executive Committee for the financial year ending 30 June 2008 are as follows:
||Ir. Dr. Albert Tsang
|Vice Chairman :
||Mr. Lotto Lai
|Hon. Secretary :
||Dr. James Lam
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Mr. Peter Fung
|Regular Committee Members :
||Ir. Dr. K.S. Chin
||Mr. Karson Chui
||Mr. C.P. Chow
||Ir. Dr. Aaron Tong
||Dr. Fugee Tsung
||Mr. Humphrey Lee
||Mr. S.W. Lam
||Mr. Ben Tsang
||Dr. Antonio Lau
||Ms Minda Chiang
The certification scheme that gives recognition to members with the professional knowledge required of Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) was launched in 2006. It is exceedingly well received by members. So far, 116 members were already on our register of SSGB by the end of June 2008. This represents an increase of 104% over last year.
We continued to maintain established links with other professional bodies locally and globally through the organization of and participation in joint events, as well as involvement in various forms of networking activities. These efforts are reflected in the highlights of the Society’s affairs in the year under review to be presented below.
- The Executive Committee met 11 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings, held on 29 September 2007 was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
- The annual Membership drive was launched in September 2006 at City University of Hong Kong and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University to attract new members.
- Up to the end of June 2008, the Society has 343 members of various grades, a growth of about 12.5% in 12 months. In the past year, 25 ordinary members advanced to the grade of senior member. The Society so far has 52 Senior Members and 5 Fellows.
- In the first year after introducing the grade of Corporate Members, 5 reputable organizations have accepted our invitation to be registered as Corporate Members of HKSQ.
International / Regional Networking
- Representatives of HKSQ met with Roberto Saco, president-elect of ASQ, when he visited Hong Kong in February 2008. At the meeting, views on quality concepts and society development were exchanged. On that occasion, we were also informed of ASQ・s future direction.
- Ir. Dr. K.S. Chin and your Vice Chairman represented the Society at the 5th Asian Network for Quality (ANQ) Conference held in Incheon, Korea, 17 to 18 October 2007. They also presented papers at the event.
- Your Chairman represented the Society to attend the HKQAA Symposium 2007 held on 20 November 2007.
- Your Chairman and Vice Chairman represented the Society to attend the Fellowship Dinner of Six Sigma Society held on 18 February 2008.
- Ir. Dr. K.S. Chin attended the 62nd American Society for Quality (ASQ) Annual Conference held in Houston, Texas, USA in May 2008. As representative of HKSQ, he networked with delegates from other member organizations of ASQ WorldPartners and friends at ASQ.
Seminars, workshops and technical visits were organized by the Society. These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- Workshops/Training Course
- The Six Sigma Green Belt Training Course (27 instructional hours) had its 2nd intake in the year under review. It was conducted in the period from 29 June to 4 August 2007, with 8 participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Quality Engineer (24 instructional hours) was conducted twice, one during the period from 8 August to 27 October 2007 and the other from 21 September to 16 November 2007, with a total of 16 participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence was conducted during the period from 3 November to 22 December 2007 (21 instructional hours), with 9 participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Six Sigma Black Belt was conducted during the period from 23 February 2008 to 3 May 2008 (30 instructional hours), with 7 participants.
- The annual Certificate Course in Quality Management for Laboratory, with CityU as the co-organizer, had its 4th intake in the year under review. It was conducted during the period from 24 January to 24 April 2008 (27 instructional hours), with 6 participants.
- Technical Meetings
- Seminar on “Kaizen Management Systems” held on 13 July 2007 – 31 participants attended the event.
- Seminar on “Sports Coaching and Quality Management” held on 3 August 2007 – 13 participants attended the event.
- Seminar on “Lean Principles in Manufacturing and Service Operations: Case Studies” held on 21 December 2007 – 31 participants attended the event.
- Seminar on “RFID: An Emerging Technology for Physical Asset Management and Counterfeit Prevention” and visit to PolyU・s RFID Research Unit held on 23 February 2008 – 22 participants attended the event.
- Seminar on “Are Your Business Continuity Plans Robust? Prove It With BS 25999” held on 9 April 2008 – 23 participants attended the event.
- Technical Visits
- The one-day trip to visit Mainland Factories of TDK China Co., Ltd., with the EngD Society of CityU as co-organizer, was held on 18 July 2007. 20 participants took part in the visit.
- The one-day trip to visit Lee Kum Kee’s Xinhui Production Plant, with the MIE Division of HKIE as co-organizer, took place on 17 August 2007. 11 participants took part in the event.
- The visit to Wellcome・s Fresh Food Centre, the MIE Division of HKIE as co-organizer, was held on 8 September 2007. 21 participants took part in the visit.
- The one-day trip to visit the mainland factories of Vincent Raya Co., Ltd. and Providence Enterprise Ltd. took place on 9 May 2008. 11 participants took part in the event.
- The visit to Kwong Sun Hong was held on 30 May 2008 in which 17 participants took part.
- Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the 4th Company Based Student Project Competition which attracted 10 contesting teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, City University of Hong Kong, and University of Science and Technology. We are grateful to ENW Electronics Ltd. for offering contestants with real projects in its operation, hosting a works visit (on 29 March 2008) for contestants to make observations and collect data, serving on the judging panel, and for its sponsorship of the prizes.
Service to the Community
- Ir. Dr. Aaron Tong represented the Society in serving as mentor in the SME Mentorship Program organized by Trade and Industry Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Ir. Dr. Albert Tsang, Mr. Karson Chui and Ms Minda Chiang served as proctors of ASQ certification examinations held in Hong Kong.
My sincere thanks go to the regular and co-opted members of the Executive Committee, whose dedication and commitment are essential for the success of our activities in the past year.
Last but not least, congratulations to our past Chairman, Ir. Dr. K.S. Chin, for his recent election as Fellow of ASQ, one of the few with such honor in China including Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Prepared by Albert Tsang
Chairman – 2007/2008