|The office bearers and members of the Executive Committee for the financial year ending 30 June 2010 are as follows:
||Mr. Lotto Lai
|Vice Chairman :
||Mr. Humphrey Lee
|Hon. Secretary :
||Ms Minda Chiang
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Mr. S.W. Lam
|Regular Committee Members :
||Dr. Albert Tsang
||Dr. K.S. Chin
||Dr. Aaron W.K. Tong
||Dr. Fugee Tsung
||Mr. C.P. Chow
||Mr. Karson Chui
||Mr. Vincent Cheng
||Mr. Ben Tsang
||Mr. Peter Fung
||Dr. Antonio Lau
|Co-opted Members :
||Dr. Zoie Wong
||Prof. Frankey Pun
2009 can be considered a “testing and certification year” because of the establishment of Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC). It offers unique opportunities to the testing and certification services in upgrading Hong Kong’s competitive edge.
The Professional Certification Scheme System, which makes reference to ISO/IEC 17024, has been established in 2010. It gives personal certification of Certified Six Sigma Green Belt (CSSGB), Certified Laboratory Quality Specialist (CLabQS) and Provisional LabQS. New certification items such as Certified Quality Engineering (CQE) will also be established in future.
We continued to maintain established links with government bodies through involvement in initiatives such as HKCTC and Hong Kong Qualification Framework (HKQF); and other professional bodies locally and globally through the organization of and participation in joint events, as well as involvement in various forms of networking activities. These efforts are reflected in the highlights of the Society’s affairs in the year under review to be presented below.
- The Executive Committee met 12 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings, held on 25 July 2009 was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
- The summary of all HKSQ activities in 2009/2010 are shown as follows:
- Membership drive: 5
- Networking: 10 (including ANQ congress & ASQ Conference)
- Workshop/Training: 5
- Seminar: 5
- Visit: 4 (including Study Mission)
- Student Project Competition: 1
- The annual Membership drive was launched at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in October 2009, at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in September 2009, at City University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong University in November 2009 to attract new members.
- Your Chairman was invited to introduce Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) and the HKSQ Certification Scheme for Quality Professionals to MSc students of the Department of Chemistry, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU).
- Up to the end of June 2010, the Society has 321 members of various grades. These include 8 Corporate Members, 7 Fellows, 48 Senior Members, 237 Ordinary Members and 21 Student Members.
International / Regional Networking
- Your Chairman, Ex-Chairmen (Dr. K.S. Chin, Dr. Albert Tsang) and your Hon. Secretary, together with two members, represented the Society at the 7th Asian Network for Quality (ANQ) Conference held in Tokyo, Japan from 15 to 18 September 2009. The former also presented a paper at the event. Moreover, we had a dinner with Mr. Gregory H. Watson (President of International Academy for Quality (IAQ); past Chairman and President of American Society for Quality (ASQ)) and Prof. Shu Yamada (Professor and Dean of Quality Management at Graduate School of Business Sciences (GSBS), University of Tsukuba) in Tokyo, Japan.
- Your Chairman represented the Society to attend the HKQAA 20th Anniversary Cocktail held on 25 September 2009, and also the SGS 50th Anniversary Luncheon held on 28 September 2009.
- HKQAA Symposium 2009 was held from 24 to 25 November 2009 and HKSQ was one of supporting organizations. Your Chairman represented the Society to attend the Symposium.
- HKSQ executive committee members had a dinner with Prof. Hiroshi Osada (Professor in Department of MOT (Management of Technology), Graduate School of Innovation Management, Tokyo Institute of Technology) on 9 December 2009. He is the 2009 Deming Prize recipient.
- Hong Kong Software Quality Assurance (HKSQA) Conference was organized by Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC) on 17 March 2010. HKSQ was one of the supporting organizations.
- HKSQ was also one of the supporting organizations for BSI Technical Conference 2010 “Wrestling with Greenhouse Gases to Win Sustainability” which was held on 19 March 2010. Two of HKSQ Executive Committee (Exco) members (Mr. Vincent Cheng and Mr. Antonio Lau) represented the Society to attend the event.
- Your Chairman was invited by the International Six Sigma Council (ISSC) to attend their Six Sigma Networking Dinner on 5 May 2010.
- Dr. Albert Tsang (Ex-Chairman) and Professor Fugee Tsung are HKSQ Exco members who represented your Society to participate in the ASQ Conference entitled “2010 World Conference on Quality and Improvement”, held in St. Louis, Missouri, 24 -26 May 2010.
Seminars, workshops and technical visits were organized by the Society. These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- Workshops/Training Course
- A workshop on Advanced Methods in Food Microbiology and Chemistry was conducted by BCH Department, City University of Hong Kong (CityU) and Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC) from 10 to 12 Nov 2009. HKSQ was one of the supporting organizations. Dr. K.S. Chin (Asso. Prof, MEEM Dept. in CityU) and Dr. Aaron Tong (Managing Director, TQM Consultants Co. Ltd.) represented HKSQ to present a talk named “Quality Assurance in Food Industry”.
- The “Certificate Course in Quality Management for Laboratory” organized by HKSQ and Department of Biology and Chemistry, The City University of Hong Kong (CityU) commenced in January 2010, with 13 students from CityU and 12 other participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Quality Engineer was conducted during the period from 12 September to 7 November 2009, with 12 participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence was conducted during the period from 5 December 2009 to 30 January 2010, with 7 participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Six Sigma Black Belt was conducted during the period from 8 May to 10 July 2010, with 10 participants.
- Technical Meetings
- The seminar “Sharing Entrepreneur Experience in Healthcare Products and Medical Devices & Diversify into Medical Manufacturing Business” was held immediately after AGM on 10 July 2009, with 24 members.
- Your Chairman was invited to give a talk of “A Case Study of ISO/IEC 27001 implementation in IC Design & IP Servicing Centre of HKSTP”, at the seminar entitled “Embracing the Challenges of Emerging Information Security Threats”, organized by Hong Kong Quality Assurance Agency (HKQAA) and supported by HKSQ, on 27 August 2009.
- Seminar on “ISO 14971 Risk Management in Medical Device” held on 24 November 2009.
- A technical seminar entitled “Electric Vehicles – Impacts, Recent Development and Future” held on 12 March 2010, with 23 participants.
- A technical seminar on Worldwide Product Certification was organized by Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Section (Hong Kong Branch) of The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), Hong Kong Chapter of Product Safety Engineering Society (PSES), and MILES Alumni Association of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University on 27 March 2010. HKSQ was one of supporting organizations.
- Technical Visits
- TCL Corporation and Eastech Asia Technology Limited held on 8 January 2010, with 16 participants.
- MTR West Rail Operations Control Centre (OCC) and Pat Heung Depot (PHD) held on 30 April 2010, with 16 participants.
- The technical visit to Intertek LED Testing Centre held on 14 May 2010.
- A study mission to visit KUNMING Pharmaceutical Corp. (昆明制药集团股份有限公司) and YUNNAN University (云南大学) in KUNMING, YUNNAN (中国云南省昆明市) held from 24 to 27 June 2010, with 8 participants.
- Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the 6th Company Based Student Project Competition which attracted 8 contesting teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, University of Science and Technology, City University of Hong Kong, and The University of Hong Kong. We are grateful to Techworld Industries Ltd. for offering contestants with real projects in its operation, hosting a works visit for contestants to make observations and collect data, serving on the judging panel, and for its sponsorship of the prizes.
Service to the Community
- Your Chairman was invited as representative of the Society to attend the Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC) Consultation Forum on 27 November 2009. The views and suggestions on testing and certification industry by HKSQ members were summarized and submitted to HKCTC on 12 January 2010.
- Your Chairman represented the Society to attend the consultation forum of Qualifications Framework for Testing and Certification Industry held on 20 May 2010.
- Ir. Dr. Aaron Tong represented the Society in serving as mentor in the SME Mentorship Program organized by Trade and Industry Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Mr. Karson Chui, Mr. Humphrey Lee and Dr. Albert Tsang served as proctors of ASQ certification examinations held in Hong Kong during the year under review.
- Dr. K.S. Chin served ASQ as the Country Representative in Hong Kong.
- Professor Fugee Tsung, Head of Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and a member of our Executive Committee, was elected a Fellow of American Society for Quality (ASQ) in recognition of his significant contributions to quality in May 2010
In the year ahead, your Society will continue to promote quality and provide a wider range of services to members. We will focus on enhancing the reputation of the Society through participation in Government sponsored initiatives such as HKCTC and HKQF, and increasing collaborations with various quality related associations internationally and locally.
Finally, I wish to express my gratitude to all regular and co-opted members of the Executive Committee for their full commitment and support, as well as our strategic partners – TQM Consultants Ltd. and Techmax Information Technology (Hong Kong) Company – for their support in promoting our activities.
Prepared by Lotto Lai
Chairman – 2009/2010