I am pleased to report that we have had another successful year for the 2002/2003 session. In addition to being a WorldPartner of ASQ, HKSQ is also a founding member of “Asian Network for Quality (ANQ)”. In the capacity as Chairman of the Society, I attended the 16th Asia Quality Congress (AQC) and its Steering Committee meeting held in Tokyo in July and November, 2002, as well as the 8th Asia Pacific Quality Organization (APQO) Conference in Beijing from 15 to 17 September, 2002.11 Executive Committee meetings were held in the session. Various activities, including 9 seminars/ workshops and 3 technical visits were organized by the Society during the last session. These events were well received by our members and other participants form local manufacturing and service industries.
Benefits to members: Our members can enjoy 5% discount for the “lean Manufacturing / lean Quality” seminars organized by HKPC, discount price to purchase ASQ books through HKSQ ExCo, and ASQ member rates in taking ASQ certification examinations.
To enhance communication with members, e-newsletters were launched in January 2003.
New members joining HKSQ after 1st May will have membership last for 1 year more.
HKSQ members, who are ASQ members, have up to 3 years (out of required 5 full consecutive years) of senior membership in HKSQ are recognized by ASQ as equivalent qualification.
HKSQ sponsored 3 HKSQ ExCo to attended APQO conference in Beijing from 15 to 17 September, 2002.
The Society, up to the end of the 2002/2003 session, has 217 members of various grades, in which 54 are new members recruited in the session. The Society so far has 38 Senior Members and 6 Fellows.
The Society has continued to cooperate with other quality professional bodies to further promote a greater awareness of the need for quality in Hong Kong and state-of-the-art concepts and techniques in quality management and engineering aspects. Collaboration activities held in the reported session included jointly organized seminars and workshops.
Listing of activities held in 2002/2003 session
A. Seminars/ Workshops/Training courses
- Certificate Workshop on The Lean Manufacturing Approach to Perfect Quality
- Certificate Workshop on Lean Assembly
- Seminar on Quality Management in the 21st Century
- Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Quality Engineering
- Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Quality Manager
- Seminar on ASQ Certification Programs, held in “Support &Consultation Centre for SMEs” of Trade & Industry Department of the HKSAR Governement
- Introduction to Risk Management ?A Quality Perspective
- Improving Business Performance through Six Sigma
- Optimization Strategies for Design for Six Sigma
B. Technical Visits
- Visit to Super Terminal One
- Visit to SMT (Productivity Award Winner), jointly organized with IIE and American Hong Kong Electronic Association
- Visit to CLP’s integrated quality, environmental and safety systems in Castle Peak Power Generation Plant
C. Other Major Activities
- With the sponsorship from TQM consultants Co., Ltd. and SGS Hong Kong Ltd., the Society continued to organize the Quality Management Student Project Competition.