|The office bearers and members of the Executive Committee for the financial year ending 30 June 2013 are as follows:
||Mr. Karson Chui
|Vice Chairman :
||Mr. Peter Fung
|Hon. Secretary :
||Ms Minda Chiang
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Mr. C.P. Chow
|Regular Committee Members :
||Dr. Albert Tsang
Dr. K.S. Chin
Dr. Aaron W.K. Tong
Dr. Fugee Tsung
Dr. Lotto Lai
Mr. S.W. Lam
Mr. Ben Tsang
Mr. Humphrey Lee
Ms. Angela Wong
Dr. Andy Wong
|Co-opted Members :
||Mr. Eric Suen
Mr. Ricky Suen
Dr. Jacky Ting
Dr. Ken Yau
Dr. C.F. Yuen
|HKSQ Oversea Representatives :
||Prof. Frankey Pun
(Representative of Americas)
Dr. Zoie Wong
(Representative of Japan)
Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) has recorded another successful year of 2012/2013 on its commitment in serving the quality discipline in the past 27 years.
HKSQ continues to maintain close connection with other Quality Organizations for experience and knowledge sharing. A study mission to Singapore was organized, meeting Singapore Quality Institute (SQI) for Service Quality sharing.
- In the 2012/2013 session, the Executive Committee met 9 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings, held on 8 September 2012 was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
- HKSQ activities held in 2012/2013 are summarized as follows:
- Membership drive: 2
- Workshop/Training: 4
- Seminar: 22 (5 organized by HKSQ; 17 supported by HKSQ)
- Technical Visits: 3
- Student Project Competition: 1
- Membership drive was conducted at SEEM Department of City University of Hong Kong and at Industrial and Systems Engineering Department of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University to attract new members from undergraduate and post-graduate students.
- Up to the end of June 2013, the Society has 364 individual members (with voting rights), 4 Student Members and 11 Corporate Members. These 364 individual members consist of 7 Fellows, 57 Senior Members and 300 Ordinary Members. In addition, we have 25 Certified Six Sigma Black Belts, 224 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, 7 Certified Laboratory Quality Specialists and 2 Provisional Laboratory Quality Specialists.
International / Regional Networking
- HKSQ organized a Study Mission to Singapore, networking with SQI for Service Quality sharing. We were pleased to attend an experience sharing session organized by SQI on Service Quality. Besides, Universal Studio Singapore also shared the methodology of maintaining customer loyalty and delighting customers.
- Dr. Albert Tsang (ASQ Country Counsellor for Hong Kong) attended the ASQ World Conference on Quality and Improvement in Indianapolis in May 2013 to discuss the future development of ASQ-HK and its collaboration with HKSQ.
- Dr. KS Chin attended EOQ in Tallinn in June 2013 to develop collaborations between HKSQ and EOQ.
- Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Ms. Minda Chiang attended a meeting organized by New Zealand Organisation for Quality
Seminars, workshops and technical visits were organized by the Society. These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- Workshops/Training Course
- Three workshops on Quality Engineer were conducted in the periods 18 May to 12 July, 19 July to 14 September and 22 September to 10 November 2012, with a total of 50 participants.
- The workshop on Body of Knowledge for Manager of Quality / Organization Excellence was conducted in the period from 22 December 2012 to 9 February 2013, with 8 participants.
- The Six Sigma Black Belt Bridging Course was conducted in June 2013 with 10 participants.
- The workshop on Body of Knowledge for Six Sigma Black Belt was conducted in the period from 25 May to 27 July 2013 with 8 participants.
- Technical Meetings / Seminars
Organized by HKSQ
- The seminar on “Quality Excellence Model” was held on 9th November 2012.
- The seminar on “Supply Chain Management” was held on 16th November 2012 with BSI as co-organizer.
- The seminar on “Quality Management in India” was held on 25th March 2013.
- In order to allow our members to put aside their day-to-day work, understand our community in the view of history and culture of Hong Kong, a seminar on followed by a walking tour to the historical development of Sheng Wan Hong Kong Island for the past 100 years was held in January 2013.
Events Supported by HKSQ
- We continued to support other local and international professional bodies in organizing seminars or symposia that align with our objectives to leverage the resources and allow members to join these activities at no cost or at discounted prices.
- Technical Visits
- The technical visit to the operations department of Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car was held on 23rd November 2012 with 18 participants. ASQ-HK was the co-organizer of the event. There were a lot of discussions about the system design and maintenance program of the cable car system.
- The visit to Dialogue in Dark on 16 March 2013 offered other-than-usual experience to the participants.
- Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the 9th Company Based Student Project Competition which attracted teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, City University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. We are grateful to Techtronic Industries Co Limited for offering contestants with real projects in its operation, hosting a works visit for contestants to make observations and collect data, and serving on the judging panel of the competition.
Service to the Community
- Dr. Aaron Tong continues to support SUCCESS mentorship
- Dr. Lotto Lai represented HKSQ in HKQF for TIC Industry Training Advisory Committee (ITAC)
- Mr. Karson Chui, Mr. Humphrey Lee, Mr. C.P. Chow, Ms. Minda Chiang and Dr. Albert Tsang served as proctors of ASQ certification examinations held in Hong Kong in the year under review.
- Dr. Albert Tsang served ASQ as the Country Counsellor in Hong Kong with effect from 2013.
- Mr. Karson Chui and Dr. Lotto Lai participate in the Career Talk on ‘Test and Certification Industry’ organized by Youth Employment Resource Centre of Labour Department held on 6 Jul 2013.
Internet Communication Group
- HKSQ LinkedIn Group (Established since 2009)
- HKSQ Facebook Group (Established since 2010)
- HKSQ Twitter Group (Established since 2010)
We continued to make use of Social Media such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to share quality related information with quality practitioners worldwide.
Prepared by Karson Chui
Chairman – 2012/2013