|The office bearers and members of the Executive Committee for the financial year ending 30 June 2012 are as follows:
||Dr. Lotto Lai
|Vice Chairman :
||Mr. Humphrey Lee
|Hon. Secretary :
||Ms Minda Chiang
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Mr. C.P. Chow
|Regular Committee Members :
||Dr. Albert Tsang
||Dr. K.S. Chin
||Dr. Aaron W.K. Tong
||Dr. Fugee Tsung
||Mr. Karson Chui
||Mr. Vincent Cheng
||Mr. Ben Tsang
||Mr. Peter Fung
||Mr. S. W. Lam
|Co-opted Members :
||Dr. Richard Cheung
||Ms. Angela Wong
||Mr. Eric Suen
||Mr. Ricky Suen
|HKSQ Oversea Representative :
||Prof. Frankey Pun
(Representative of Americas)
||Dr. Zoie Wong
(Representative of Japan)
Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) has recorded another successful year of 2011/2012 on its commitment in serving the quality discipline in the past 26 years.
It is the first time for the Society to take a leading role in organising the 10th ANQ Congress 2012 in Hong Kong, in collaboration with Asian Network for Quality (ANQ), China Quality Association (CAQ) and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), from 31 July to 3 August 2012. The Congress, with the theme “Striving for Excellence through Products and Services Quality” (優化品質 , 邁向卓越), attracted some 400 quality professionals over the world to participate. The Society also co-organized the Post-ANQ Networking workshop on 4 August 2012.
Following the successes of various professional Certification Programmes offered in the past two years, the Socitey has expanded and enhanced them in 2011/2012. These programmes included individual certification of Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB), Certified Six Sigma Green Belt (CSSGB), Certified Laboratory Quality Specialist (CLabQS) and Provisional LabQS, as well as Certified Quality Engineering (CQE). Besides, HKSQ continued to maintain linkage with government bodies through involvement in initiatives such as Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC), Hong Kong Qualification Framework (HKQF) and SME Mentorship Program in Trade and Industry Department of HKSAR. It would be the Society’s objective to strive for continuous development and being an international society through extension of the networking from Hong Kong to China, Asia, America and Europe.
- In the 2010/2012 session, the Executive Committee met 11 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings, held on 20 August 2011 was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review. In addition, the Organizing Committee and the Program Committee of ANQ Congress 2012 met 16 times to plan and prepare for the international event.
- HKSQ activities held in 2011/2012 are summarized as follows:
- Membership drive: 6
- Networking: 12
- Workshop/Training: 5
- Seminar: 22 (7 organized by HKSQ; 15 supported by HKSQ)
- Technical Visits: 2
- Student Project Competition: 1
- The annual Membership drive was launched IELM Department of Hong Kong University for Science and Technology (HKUST) on 26th October 2011.
- Membership drive at Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Sha Tin) was held on 2nd December 2011 to attract new members.
- Membership drive at Department of Zoology of the University of Hong Kong on 17th December 2011 to attract new members.
- Membership drive at SEEM Department of City University of Hong Kong on 2nd April 2012 to attract new members.
- Membership drives at Industrial and Systems Engineering Department of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in September 2011 and March 2012 to attract new members from undergraduate and post-graduate students.
- Up to the end of June 2012, the Society has 297 individual members (with voting right), 16 Student Members and 12 Corporate Members. These 297 individual members consist of 7 Fellows, 61 Senior Members and 229 Ordinary Members. In addition, we have 8 Certified Six Sigma Black Belts, 83 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, and 9 Certified Laboratory Quality Specialists.
International / Regional Networking
- China Association for Quality (CAQ) and HKSQ met on 20th April 2011 to discuss the arrangement ofYour Chairman, Dr. Albert Tsang, Dr. K.S. Chin, Dr. Fugee Tsung and Ms. Minda Chiang attended ANQ Congress 2011, held from 27th to 30th September 2011 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Dr. Fugee Tsung and your chairman gave a presentation for ANQ Congress 2012 which was held in 31st July to 3rd August 2012 at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- Dr. K.S. Chin (ASQ Country Counsellor for Hong Kong) and your Chairman met Mr. Tommy Tam (ASQ Global New Market Development Director) on 10th October 2011 to discuss the future development of ASQ-HK and its collaboration with HKSQ.
- Your Chairman, Dr. K.S. Chin, Mr. Karson Chui, Mr. C.P. Chow and Ms. Minda Chiang met Mr. Sinisa Prugovecki, Secretary of Croatian Society for Quality (CSQ) on 3rd November 2011. Ideas aboutHKSQ and CSQ organizing joint activities were exchanged at the meeting. ANQ Congress 2012 was also promoted.
- Your Chairman and Ms. Minda Chiang attended Annual Dinner of Hong Kong Food Science and Technology Association (HKFSTA) held on 10th December 2011. Dr. Lotto Lai promoted ANQ Congress 2012.
- Your Chairman, Dr. Albert Tsang, Mr. C.P. Chow, Ms. Angela Wong, Mr. Ricky Suen and Ms. Minda Chiang met Mr. Chua Wee Kwang (Vice Chairman of Singapore Quality Institute (SQI)) on 15th December 2011to share views on future quality movement and to promote ANQ Congress 2012.
- Your Chairman, Dr. Albert Tsang, Dr. K.S. Chin and Ms. Minda Chiang met Mr. Li Wencheng (Director of Business Development, China Association for Quality (CAQ)) on 23rd March 2012. Ideas about the arrangement of ANQ Congress 2012 were exchanged.
- Your Chairman attended Analogue Holdings Ltd. (ATAL) 35th Anniversary Dinner on 5th March 2012. ATAL is one of corporate members of HKSQ.
- Your Chairman, Dr. K.S. Chin and Dr. Richard Cheung met Prof. JianBo Yang and Prof. Dongling Xu from Manchester Business School, UK and Prof. Yingming Wang of Fuzhou University, PRC on 13th April 2012, to explore opportunities of future cooperation in quality promotion.
- Your Chairman and Dr. KS Chin were invited to be keynote speakers at TQM Uz–2012 held in April 2012, in Uzbekistan, which was organized by International Association of Quality Managers and Auditors (IAQMA).
- Your Chairman, Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Albert Tsang and Prof. Fugee Tsung were invited to attend International Six Sigma Council (ISSC) Networking Dinner on 10th May 2012.
- Your Chairman and Dr. K.S. Chin participated the first meeting for the Chinese Quality Forum (華人品質論壇) which was held on 25th May 2012 at Chinese Society for Quality (CSQ).
- Dr. K.S. Chin represented the Society attended EOQ/IAQ Congress held in Germany in June 2012 to promote ANQ Congress 2012 Hong Kong.
Seminars, workshops and technical visits were organized by the Society. These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- Workshops/Training Course
- Three workshops on Body of Knowledge for Quality Engineer were conducted during the period from 3rd September to 5th November 2011 with 14 participants, from 18th May 2012 to 12th July 2012 with 20 participants, and from 19th July 2012 to 14th September 2012 with 20 participants.
- Two Six Sigma Black Belt Bridging Courses were conducted during the period from 30th July 2011 to 3rd September 2011 with 20 participants, and from 15th July 2012 to 25th August 2012 with 19 participants.
- The annual Workshop on Body of Knowledge for Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence was conducted during the period from 8 January to 26 February 2011, with 7 participants.
- The “Certificate Course in Quality Management for Laboratory” was adopted into BEng Total Quality Engineer by SEEM Department, The City University of Hong Kong (CityU) commenced in June 2011, with 11 students from CityU.
- Technical Meetings / Seminars
Organized by HKSQ
- The seminar “Corporate Quality Strategies in a Globalization Environment” was held immediately after AGM on 29th July 2011, with 36 members.
- Seminar on “Quality Function Deployment (QFD)” organized by Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) and co-organized by Hong Kong Quality Function Deployment Association (HKQFDA) was held on 26th August 2011.
- Seminar on “Service Quality” organized by HKSQ was held on 4th November 2011. It was the first activity for HKSQ World Quality Month in November 2011.
- Seminar on “2011 Future of Quality Study – Emergence” held on 21st November 2011.
- Seminar on “Introduction to TRIZ” organized by HKSTP and HKSQ on 30 September 2011 and by HKSQ on 2nd December 2011.
- Seminar on Voice of Customer (VOC), jointly organized by HKSQ and Hong Kong Quality Function Deployment Association (HKQFDA), was held on 16th December 2011.
- Seminar on “Safety Management and Risk Assessment in Railway Operations” jointly organized by HKSQ, American Society for Quality (ASQ), Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management (SEEM) of CityU and Institute of Railway Signal Engineers (IRSE) – Hong Kong Section, was held on 24th February 2012. Dr. Aaron Tong (Former Chairman) was one of the speakers.
Supported by HKSQ
- Seminar on “How to demonstrate CSR achievements to your stakeholders by applying ISO 26000?”, organized by SGS on 16 August 2011.
- Seminar on “Supports to Testing & Certification Industry” organized by Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC), Hong Kong Accreditation Service (HKAS), as well as, Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks (HKSTP) on 16th September 2011.
- The Technical Seminar on “Theory of Constraints, Lean and Six Sigma” held on 24th September 2011, jointly organized by the Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Section of The Institution of Engineering and Technology Hong Kong and MILES Alumni Association of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Dr. Albert Tsang (Former Chairman) was one of the speakers.
- Seminar on “Business Excellence with Innovative Improvements” organized by Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation (HKSTPC) on 22nd November 2011.
- HKQAA Symposium 2011 held on 25th November 2011.
- Hong Kong QFD Symposium 2012 organized by Hong Kong Quality Function Deployment Association (HKQFDA), and supported by HKSQ, was held on 14th January 2012.
- The technical seminar on “The Standard for Aerospace Quality Management System (AS9100)” organized by Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Section (MIES), IET Hong Kong and co-organized by Plastics Technology Centre of Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC) on 18th February 2012.
- Symposium entitled “One Year after the Fukushima Nuclear Accident – the Way Forward with Safety and Risk Engineering”, organized by Hong Kong Nuclear Society (HKNS) and the Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering (MBE), City University of Hong Kong (CityU) on 10th March 2012.
- The technical seminar on “Product Testing and Certification” jointly organized by Department of System Engineering and Engineering Management of City University of Hong Kong (SEEM, CityUHK), Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Section (MIES), The IET Hong Kong, and MILES Alumni Association of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University on 24th March 2012. Dr. Lotto Lai was the facilitator for the Q&A session.
- THKSQA Conference 2011 organized by HKPC in April 2012.
- The technical seminar on “Caliper Checker and Flow Calibration” organized by The IEEE, Product Safety Engineering Society (PSES) – HK Chapter and Department of Electronic Engineering, City University of Hong Kong on 5th May 2012.
- “World Metrology Day 2012 Seminar” organized by The Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC), the Standards and Calibration Laboratory of the Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC/SCL), and the Vocational Training Council collaborated with Government Laboratory (GL) and the Hong Kong Accreditation Service (HKAS) on 24th May 2012.
- BIO 2012 International Convention, at Massachusetts, USA from 18 to 21 June 2012.
- Seminar on Roadmap to Low Carbon Business – Overview of Product Carbon Footprint Development organized by SGS on 24 July 2012.
- Information Security Showcase 2012 organized by HKPC on 25 July 2012.
- Technical Visits
- The “Farm Visit” held on 5th November 2011 with 27 participants. It was co-organized by Hong Kong Food Science and Technology Association Ltd. (HKFSTA) and ASQ-HK.
- The technical visit to Philips Consumer Lifestyle Zhuhai (hereafter, Philips CL Zhuhai) factory was held on 20th April 2012, with 36 participants.
- Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the 8th Company Based Student Project Competition which attracted 9 contesting teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and The University of Hong Kong. We are grateful to Vital-Health Livestock Development Limited for offering contestants with real projects in its operation, hosting a works visit for contestants to make observations and collect data, and serving on the judging panel.
Service to Corporate Members
- Invited HKSQ corporate members for sponsorship and participating to ANQ Congress 2012 Hong Kong. SGS and Techworld were silver sponsors of the Congress. HKSTP played host of a technical visit for delegates of Congress.
Service to the Community
- Your Chairman was invited as representative of the Society to attend and support different seminars organized by the Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC) and Hong Kong Accreditation Service (HKAS) in 2011/2012. Some of these activities are listed below:
- Ethical Management Seminar for Testing and Certification Industry held on 3 Nov 2011.
- HKCTC & HKAS Seminar on Supports to Construction Industry held on 23 Nov 2011.
- Symposium on Food Identification and Authentication held on 17 Jan 2012.
- Seminar on Supplement VIII to CEPA for Testing and Certification Industry held on 14 February 2012.
- World Accreditation Day 2012 Seminar held on 15 June 2012.
- Seminar on The Emerging Trend of Accreditation and Certification held on 18 June 2012.
- The Seminar on Authentication of Chinese Medicines held on 10 July 2012.
- Your Chairman was re-appointed as a member of Testing, Inspection and Certification (TIC) Industry Training Advisory Committee (ITAC) on 15 August 2012 for a term up to 31 December 2014.
- Dr. Albert Tsang represented the Society at PolyU’s 75th Anniversary “Enterprise Scholarship Scheme” Appreciation Ceremony. HKSQ donated HK$5,000 to support one scholarship that was awarded to a student of the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at PolyU in Nov 2011.
- Mr. Karson Chui, Mr. Humphrey Lee, Mr. C.P. Chow and Dr. Albert Tsang served as proctors of ASQ certification examinations held in Hong Kong during the year under review.
- Dr. K.S. Chin served ASQ as the Country Representative in Hong Kong.
Internet Communication Group
- HKSQ LinkedIn Group (Established since 2009) – No. of group member: 99 (2011) to 163 (2012)
- HKSQ Facebook Group (Established since 2010) – No. of group member: 32 (2011) to 69 (2012)
- HKSQ Twitter Group (Established since 2010) – No. of Follower: 9 (2011) to 15 (2012)
I would like to conclude some key achievements in this three years below.
- Established good relationship and recognition from government bodies such as HKCTC, HKAS and HKQF. Your Society is listed as a professional body with a link featured in HKCTC’s web site.
- Established an accreditation board system based on ISO 17024 and accredited several courses in universities.
- Established social media discussion groups for communication with members.
- Enhanced HKSQ international status through organizing ANQ 2012 Congress in Hong Kong and participated in the first meeting of Chinese Quality Forum (華人品質論壇).
In the coming year, your New Chairman will continue to promote quality in new direction. Through ANQ Congress 2012, the Society has increased its collaboration with various international and local quality related associations. Furthermore, the reputation of the Society was enhanced through participation in Government sponsored initiatives such as HKCTC, HKAS and HKQF.
Finally, I wish to express my gratitude to all regular and co-opted members of the Executive Committee for their full commitment and support in the past year, especially for organizing the ANQ Congress 2012. We had received many good comments from participants of the Congress.
Prepared by Lotto Lai
Chairman – 2011/2012