Hong Kong Society for Quality (HKSQ) has recorded another successful year in 2016/2017 on its commitment to serving Quality Professionals in Hong Kong.
This report includes the Society organization, major events and activities in the fiscal year ending 30th June 2017.
Section A. Executive Committee and Representatives
||Mr. Peter Fung
|Vice Chairman :
||Ms. Angela Wong
|Hon. Secretary :
||Dr. Sherman Ngan
|Hon. Treasurer :
||Dr. Lotto Lai
|Regular Committee Members :
||Dr. K.S. Chin
Mr. CP Chow
Ms. Minda Chiang
Mr. S.W. Lam
Mr. Humphrey Lee
Mr. Ricky Suen
Dr. Aaron W.K. Tong
Dr. Albert Tsang
Mr. Ben Tsang
Prof. Fugee Tsung
|Co-opted Members :
||Dr. Ken Yau
Dr. Jacky Ting
Mr. Simon Tong
Dr. Catherine Chan
Ms. Jane Wong
Mr. Theo Wong
Ms. Grace Meng
Ms. Natalie Law
Ms. Ka Po Chung
|HKSQ Oversea Representatives :
||Prof. Frankey Pun (Representative of the Americas)
Dr. Andy Wong (Representative of the UK)
Dr. Zoie Wong (Representative of Japan)
Section B. Governance
- In the 2016/2017 session, the Executive Committee met 7 times to plan and review the activities organized by the Society. One of these meetings was dedicated to formulation of the plan of activities in the year under review.
Section C. Activities
- HKSQ activities held in 2016/2017 are summarized below:
- Membership drive: 5
- Workshops/Training: 5
- Seminars: 19 (7 organized by HKSQ; 12 supported by HKSQ)
- International Conferences: 2
- Study Missions: 1
- Student Project Competition: 1
- Publications: 3
- These activities were well received by our members and other participants.
- 1. Membership, Membership Drive and Professional Certifications
- Up to end of June 2017, the Society has 323 individual members (with voting rights), 2 Student Members and 13 Corporate Members. These 323 individual members consist of 251 Ordinary Members, 65 Senior Members and 7 Fellows.
- Membership drive was conducted at City University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong and The University of Hong Kong to attract new members from undergraduate and post-graduate students.
- The Society has 27 Certified Six Sigma Black Belts, 103 Certified Six Sigma Green Belts, 2 Certified Laboratory Quality Specialists, 3 Provisional Laboratory Quality Specialists and 21 Certified Quality Engineers on its registers of certified quality professionals.
- 2. Workshops/Training Courses
- Workshop on BOK for Six Sigma Black Belt, 15 Jul – 16 Sep 2016
- Workshop on BOK for CMQ/OE, 15 Oct – 26 Nov 2016
- Workshop on BOK for Quality Engineer, 25 Mar – 20 May 2016
- Workshop on BOK for Reliability Engineer, 7 Jan – 4 Mar 2017
- “BA” Learning Workshop: Japanese Practice for Managers to Generate a Virtuous Cycle – 22 Apr 2107
Events Organized by HKSQ:
- “Extenics (可拓學) and its application”, 9 July 2016
- “You cannot Design Tomorrow’s Products using Yesterday’s QFD”, 12 Aug 2016
- “Future Manufacturing – Industry 4.0, Made in China 2025 and Internet+”, 27 Aug 2016
- “Reliability & Maintenance – Enablers of Industry 4.0”, 11 Nov 2016
- “Industry 4.0 – Taiwan Experience”, 12 Dec 2016
- “Service Quality & QFD for Corporate Service Responsibility”, 19 Apr 2017
- “中國原創學科 – “可拓學” 創新方法研討會, Extenics – Education & Application”, 28 Apr 2017
Events Supported by HKSQ:
- The Society supported 12 quality related events hosted by other organizations in the year under review. We continued to support other local and international professional bodies in organizing seminars or symposia that align with our objectives to leverage the resources and allow members to join these activities at no cost or at discounted prices.
- 4. International Conferences
- The 1st World Summit for Chinese Quality was hosted by HKSQ in CityU on 8 July 2016. Co-organizing organizations were the China Association for Quality (CAQ), Chinese Society for Quality (CSQ) and Singapore Quality Institute (SQI). 100 local and overseas quality practitioners attended this Summit, including the speakers and representatives from the above co-organizing organizations.
- Hong Kong QFD Symposium 2016 was co-organized by HKSQ, Hong Kong Quality Function Deployment Association, Asia Quality Function Deployment Association and CityU, and sponsored by QFD Fund. It celebrated the 50th Anniversary of QFD developed by Prof. Yoji Akao in Japan in 1966. Over 70 local and overseas quality professional attended this Symposium, including speakers and representatives from the above organizations.
- 5. Study Mission
- A study mission to Taiwan was organized in the period from 16 to 20 November 2016. The theme of the study mission was “Preparing Quality Professionals to Meet the Challenges of Industry 4.0 – Taiwan Experience (品質專業如何應對工業4.0的發展 – 台灣企業經驗考察團)”. 12 members joined this study mission. They visited the Chinese Society for Quality, Fine Tek Group and King Design Industry. The delegates also joined the International Symposium of Quality Management – New Prospects of Quality Management in the Big Data Era.
- 6. Student Project Competition
- The Society organized the 13th Company Based Student Project Competition in January – March 2017. It attracted teams formed by students from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Chinese University of Hong Kong and The University of Hong Kong. We are grateful to Sanmina for offering contestants with real projects in their operations, hosting a works visit for contestants to make observations and collect data, and serving on the judging panel of the Competition.
- 7. Publications
- HKSQ Newsletters of 28 Jul 2016 and 11 Oct 2016 were distributed to members to report past activities and announce new ones.
- “Visiting Thoughts – Study Mission on Industry 4.0 in Taiwan” is a summary of inspirations from the Study Mission to Taiwan. It was distributed to members and featured in the December 2016 issue of Quality Month, published by Chinese Society for Quality.
- 8. Social Events
- Dinner Gathering with members after the last AGM held on 12 Aug 2016
- Ping Shan Heritage Trail Walking Tour, 1 Apr 2017
Section D. International / Regional Networking
- Mr. Peter Fung, Dr. Albert Tsang, Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Ms. Minda Chiang represented the Society to attend the ANQ Congress in Vladivostok, Russia, 21-23 September 2016 so as to build working relationships with other ANQ member organizations.
- Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Ms. Minda Chiang represented the Society to join the ANQ-CEC (Certification and Examination) Meeting in Vladivostok, 19 September 2016
- Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Minda Chiang represented the Society to attend the World Alliance for Chinese Quality (WACQ) Meeting in Vladivostok, 19 September 2016
- Dr. K.S. Chin and Dr. Albert Tsang each delivered a presentation at the Quality Education Symposium held in Vladivostok, 22 September 2016
- Chairman and 11 members represented the Society to join the 2016 International Symposium of Quality Management in Tainan, 19 November 2016.
- Dr. Albert Tsang and Prof. Fugee Tsung represented the Society to attend the ASQ World Conference for Quality and Improvement 2017 held in Charlotte, North Carolina, 1 – 3 May 2017.
- Mr. Peter Fung, Dr. Lotto Lai and Dr. Aaron Tong represented the Society to join the International Six Sigma Council 11th Anniversary, 18 May 2017.
- Dr. Albert Tsang has been serving as the Country Counsellor of ASQ in Hong Kong since 2013, he also represents HKSQ on matters relating to ASQ.
- Dr. KS Chin represents HKSQ on matters relating to ANQ.
- Dr. KS Chin, Dr. Lotto Lai and Dr. Aaron Tong represents HKSQ on matters relating to WACQ.
Section E. Service to the Community
- The Society has provided a 5-year sponsorship program for Student Project Competition winners to attend ANQ Congress since 2015. The program also extends to full time research students with presentation on quality related research work at the Congress.
- The Society served as a member of the Advisory Committee for Start-up Companies. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
- The Society served as a member of the Technical Advisory Committee of the Hong Kong Brand Development Council. (Represented by Dr. Albert Tsang)
- The Society served as a mentor in the SUCCESS Mentorship Program. (Represented by Dr. Aaron Tong)
- The Society served as a member of the HKQF for TIC Industry Training Advisory Committee. (Represented by Dr. Lotto Lai)
- Chairman and former Chairman presented the Quality Engineering, Quality Management, and Innovation topics to CityU and CUHK students at industrial experience sharing sessions organized by the above mentioned universities. (Mr. Peter Fung and Dr. Lotto Lai)
Section F. Internet Communication Groups
- HKSQ LinkedIn Group (Established since 2009)
- HKSQ Facebook Group (Established since 2010)
- HKSQ Twitter Group (Established since 2010)
- We continued to make use of Social Media such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to share quality related information with quality practitioners worldwide.
Here, we are thankful for all the participation and support from members, partners and sponsors that made the above events successful.
Last but not least, I am sincerely grateful for the contributions of the Executive Committee and Sub-committee members’ efforts in promoting quality awareness in Hong Kong. Without your hard work in planning and implementation, the above activities would not be that successful.
Prepared by Peter K. Fung
Chairman – 2016/2017